Kitchen Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Shaze

Reaction score
I am remodeling my kitchen and there is a floor to ceiling pantry constructed of sheetrock that I would like to remove. Within this wall, rising to the roof line and ultimately out the roof, is the vent stack for the kitchen sink drain. I was told by friends that I could cut the vent riser and install some device within the sink base cabinet to vent the drain. In other words, I wouldn't have to vent through the roof anymore. Someone mentioned a "steuter" (spelling unknown) vent. Is this a viable option for venting the sink drain.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
The device you're talking about is an air admittance valve (AAV) and Studor is a company that makes them see STUDOR
They can be used in some situations the IRC allows them but the UPC does not, check w/ your building code office to see if they are allowed in your locale.
They can only be used to vent one fixture so if your kitchen vent is a vent for other fixtures (maybe a sink on the other side of the wall or a laundry sink in the basement below) it won't work.
Why can't you remove this pantry but leave utility chase for the vent (and possibly other things like wiring) it's nice to have a place to run wires, pipes etc.

Shaze

Reaction score
Thanks for your knowledgeable response. At least now I know what I'm looking for!

The pantry is purely a visual obstacle between the kitchen and the adjoining family room and for that reason is being eliminated or actually recreated with wood cabinetry on another wall within the kitchen. I have considered creating a couple of columns to maintain the vent and for electrical utilities to remain but would prefer, visually, to have a full and unimpeded view from each room. Also, I am creating and expanded breakfast counter where these columns would rise and it would limit seating and visability for those folks seated there. Off I go to research air admittance valves...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
aav

As long as you understand that AAV's are not a total pancea. They have their own unique problems and under certain conditions will prevent a sink from draining, even though there would be no problem if the vent were installed conventionally.

Shaze

Reaction score
My prime concern would be for the dishwasher to drain properly which is discharging through the same line. I went up to Studor's web site to understand the system better at JDKimes suggestion and realized that I have seen these AAVs installed (althought at the time I didn't know what I was looking at) in friend's homes, particulary in kitchen "island" scenarios where there were no walls to run a vent pipe. It seems to be a fairly straight forward system and installation. Do you feel this would be a better job for a professional to review?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
aav

island_vent.gif

They are used in island sinks because the plumbers either do not know the correct way to vent them, or want to take the "easy way out". The only thing a plumber could do, for a price of course, would be to look at your situation and advise the best way to vent it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks