Basement toilet install

Users who are viewing this thread

nscrfrk

Reaction score
Couple of questions...the drain pipe for my toilet is 3.25" O.D. and the flange I have is a 4X3 (3.5" ? I.D.) , do I have the wrong size ? Also, should the drain pipe be cut flush with floor or slightly above? When drain pipe was roughed in, the plumber chipped the concrete away to allow for an outside flange but I was wondering if inside flange is better or is this a non-issue / personal preference? thanx for all replies.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have the wrong flange. The only time it is OK to use a flange the slides inside the pipe is if the pipe is 4". They do make flanges to go inside a 3" pipe, but they will restrict the diameter of the 3" pipe too much. Be sure the flange rests on top of the finished floor when it is installed. We get many calls for help after it's too late when DIYers recess the flange to the sub floor, in your case the concrete, and then find they have a problem.

Coddy

Reaction score
3.25" Toilet Flange...

Hi everyone,
I too am having this same problem but I’m not sure what to do.
The drain for my toilet, in my basement, is 3.25†as well.
The only toilet flanges I can find at the home improvement stores are flanges for a 4†pipe or for a 3†pipe. I cannot find any flange for a 3.25†drain.
Does anyone know where I could purchase one???
I was wondering if I could use a 4†flange with a 3.25†bushing installed.
Any help will be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Drain pipes are sized by the inside dimmension...you sure it is 3.25" ID?

Coddy

Reaction score
The pipe has "3.25 OD" printed on it. (It's a Charlotte brand PVC pipe) I even measured it. It is 3.25 OD.
I tried the 3" flange, it was too small. I tried the 4" flange, it was too big.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

I hope he did not use S&D PVC, because if he did it was the wrong pipe, since that is ONLY for use outside the house. However, your measurement implies that he did use that material. There are bushings to make its o.d. equal to the proper 3" pipe so you can use an outside flange.

TedL

Reaction score
I hope he did not use S&D PVC, because if he did it was the wrong pipe, since that is ONLY for use outside the house. However, your measurement implies that he did use that material. There are bushings to make its o.d. equal to the proper 3" pipe so you can use an outside flange.

The Charlottte Pipe link above shows it as DWV, not S&D.

If readable, the UPC will identify it with certainty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks