Access Panel. New Shower Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Thinkly

Reaction score
After recently remodeling my main floor bath, my basement shower (shower only) must have felt jealous because the hot valve started to leak. This has been an ongoing issue for a few years.

The first plumber tried to replace the stems (think that is correct term) but he said the threads were damaged and it would be a temporary fix. That lasted about 2 years, and then the next plumber came in.

I am not sure what he did a year ago but he stopped it for about 6 months. Fast forward to now and the hot handle drips water all of the time. It is now time to replace the ENTIRE valves. (I have seperate valves)

I'm tired if throwing money away. Anyway my plan is to open up a hole tonight to prepare for plumbers arrival in the morning. I bought a 14" X 14" access panel at Lowes to cover the hole.

My question is: Will this hole be big enough for them to operate in? Also should i just center the two valves in the hole or is it better to have them one way or the other.

I have never changed one, so i am asking those of you that have. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

Maybe you just need better plumbers. I would want to see the valves or at least a picture to determine if they have been blowing smoke at you. Stripped stems are corrected by installing new ones, and once that is done there are no more "stripped stems that will not last long".

Thinkly

Reaction score
Maybe you just need better plumbers. I would want to see the valves or at least a picture to determine if they have been blowing smoke at you. Stripped stems are corrected by installing new ones, and once that is done there are no more "stripped stems that will not last long".

What do the stems thread into? This is what i was told is stripped.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stems

They screw into the valve body and the only way they could be stripped would be if the servicing person was the one who stripped them, and it would almost have to be done on purpose. More often a "stripped" body is because the person is using the wrong stems and the threads are not correct, which means they do not tighten properly. Getting the correct stems usually cures that problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks