Water softener problem/question

Users who are viewing this thread

mmosiman

Reaction score
My water softener is full of water. What could be the problem and do you have any suggestions of things to try to fix it??

CaptWally

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to assume that you mean that your water softener SALT tank is what is full of water. That most likely means that your brine draw line (the poly tube that sucks the brine out of the salt tank, usually 3/8" poly tubing) is probably cracked. Just picture it as a straw in a glass of iced tea. If it has a hole in it you will suck more air than tea. The water softener doesn't know this so it assumes that all the brine has been flushed through the system, and refills it for the next time. It fills up quickly! Replace the tube and don't bother dipping the water out of the salt tank, it will return to its normal level in a few days.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
mmosiman said:
My water softener is full of water. What could be the problem and do you have any suggestions of things to try to fix it??

There are a number of causes of the briine tank having too much water in it. Assuming you mean the brine tank. Any blockage of the drain line, the drain line flow control, the injector/eductor and its throat and/or any loose brine line connections can cause the brine water to not be drawn during brining. That leaves more water in the tank than is supposed to be and then the control valve adds back what it is supposed to which raises the level until in some cases, the water overflows the tank on to the floor. Some controls/softeners are more prone to this than others.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

mmosiman

Reaction score
thanks

thanks Gary and Wally both for your answers...we will check into these and see if a fix is possible!!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't know what brand of softener you have, but check out my answer on another thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks