Threaded or Slip

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian122

Reaction score
How can I tell if the hose faucet outside of my house is slip or threaded on? My house, in Albuquerque, is about 3 years old. I would like to remove the hose faucet and install an elbow. I am afraid to try and turn it in case it is a slip connection and then I break it. The house is stucco and it would be a pain to try and install another slip connection since the stucco is right up to the faucet. Oh ya I also noticed that there is an A on the side of the faucet. I went to a local home improvement store and noticed that the threaded ones have an A on the side and the slip do not (all brands). Does this really mean anything?

Brian122

Reaction score
One other thing.

After searching the forum I noticed that most everyone has a basement, I do not. The fitting is on the outside of the house (obviously) and on the other side is an interior wall.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
99% of hose bibs are soldered on, at least in my area of the country...once in a blue moon someone threads one on. The only way to be sure is to open up the wall and look. Even if it is threaded on most times it needs to be held back at the connection.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The A does not mean anything I am aware of. If you see a full length of threads on the outside of the valve, and a smooth pipe entering the valve...that is soldered. And if you see no threads at all outside the valve, or on the pipe just where it enters the valve...that is soldered.

A threaded-on valve...you will be able to see 1 to 3 threads on the outside of the pipe just as it enters the valve.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Albuquerque North Dakota? :p
I am guessing NM (new Mexico)

My outdoor faucet is a foot long drain back device with a coper to PVC coupler on the inside.

I would beware of what might be in the wall since I found my shower head was screwed into a threaded PVC coupler that broke when I tried to replace the shower head with a low flow one.... It took me a month to fix that mess.

Why do you want to add a elbow?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks