Closet Flange question

Users who are viewing this thread

wrobs

Reaction score
I am retiling the floor in my bathroom. The closet flange is mounted direct to the plywood with no gap and no room to lift it up. Once the thinset is applied, the tile will be at least flush or a tad higher than the flange. Do I need to use a closet flange extension to get it above the tile? Is it acceptable to just use two wax rings? What s the proper method for this application?
Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The 'correct' thing to do is remove it, then reinstall it on top of the new floor. But, many people live for a long time without problems. It's better to use a flange extender rather than two wax rings.

paperbag3

Reaction score
Recently bought one of theseto fix a problem with the flange being too far below the floor - just about 1/3 of an inch or so... but I don't want to have to do this job again... has anyone used these before?

I want to be able to just remove the screws from the existing flange - pop this thing in (it came with about 3 or 4" extension on it already) and then screw it down.

It looks to me like:
a. you have to really trust that little rubber gasket at the bottom of the extension
and
b.is it ok to reduce the diameter of your line to 3" like that? I know it's not optimal but you can get by doing this right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks