Need help choosing a toilet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Abuela

Reaction score
I'm more than a little overwhelmed by all of the choices, and would appreciate some guidance.

I'm remodeling our very small second-floor bathroom. I'm looking for a toilet that is:
  • Small so it takes up as little floor space as possible while still being comfortable for two short (5'2") middle-aged adults who hope to age in place (so one of the slightly higher toilets would be good as long as we can still put our feet firmly on the floor) and occasional grandchildren
  • Quiet, since it's in the middle of all three bedrooms
  • Not something that requires really high water pressure, since the pressure in our old house in our quaint little town is ok but not great
  • Styled in a way that will look right in a bathroom that has a vaguely 1920-1930 style to it, though all fixtures will be new and the plumbing is also all modern (total remodel in 1999)

Also, two other questions:
First, I keep hearing nothing but good things about Toto toilets, but there doesn't appear to be a distributor within 100 miles of us, in southern Delaware. Is there anyone who ships these that doesn't charge a small fortune for the shipping cost?

Also, because of the size and layout of the bathroom, when you open the door you see the toilet, then the tub right behind it. A couple of folks have emphasized to me that I have to make sure that they match in color - not just "white" but the same white. Any feedback on whether this is a real issue and how hard it would be to match them is appreciated!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think Terry has someone that can deliver in NYC, maybe a sidetrip?

Toto makes two different whites, and depending on the brand of fixtures you have, one of them should be close.

As to style, that's a personal preference. An ADA height toilet isn't really all that tall...it's just that toilets in general aren't that high in the first place. Measure the height of the seat of a chair you like, then see how that compares to the ADA height toilets; the toilet will probably be lower than the chair.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you will go to Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets which is linked on the home page of this forum, then scroll down to Terry's Shopping Cart for Totos, you will find a very comprehensive listing of Toto models and the specifications for each. This will give you the size information you are concerned with. I would point out that conventional height vs ADA height has no bearing on floor space, and I would strongly recommend the ADA height. If you are concerned about flushing noise, you should stay with the G Max. When you are releasing only 1.2 to 1.6 gallons per flush, there just isn't going to be much noise. The household's water pressure also has no bearing on toilet selection. Water enters the tank after a flush and shuts off after reaching the prescribed level. Pressure variations would only affect the length of time to reach this level, and with the small volume of new toilets, this will not take much time regardless of pressure. You might want to pay attention to the Dartmouth model for the 20s to 30s appearance. They have a lip on top of the tank lid that you might like. Other than that, the Dartmouth and Drake are very similar in appearance and performance. I don't think there will be much problem with matching white color. In fact, I matched my old American Standard bone bathroom fixtures perfectly. Terry does not recommend shipping toilets due to the possibility of breakage. You may find a dealer in your area that will, but realize there is a risk involved. Terry is 130 miles from my home, but I feel the trip was totally worthwhile when I bought my Dartmouth. You can go to Toto's website and find the dealer closest to you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

The overall size of toilets is fairly constant, with the two styles being round front or elongated. Round front would probably fit you requirements. Water pressure is not factor as long as it is sufficient to get the water up to the toilet. The flush pressure is generated in the toilet by the water in the tank. There are few high profile round front toilets.

bg

Reaction score
Terry sells the Drake for $239.99 in the Los Angeles, Anchorage, Wasilla, Seattle, Tacoma, Sumer, Marysville, Everett, Issaquah, Spokane, Bellevue and Bothell area.
http://terrylove.biz/

Last edited by a moderator:

CattleDog

Reaction score
I have several round front toto ultramax toilets in my house which went into small bathrooms. The tank is small and the round front saves several inches. Performance has been excellent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks