Need some help with a leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Stuart P.

Reaction score
A few days ago I posted on how to stop a leak in the glued section of my cpvc T and based on the replies I decided the best action was to redo the plumbing. The first picture is how it looked before and the second is how it looks now.

Well, as you can see I now have a very small leak coming from the pressure fitting where the valve connects to the 1/2 pipe. You see the drop coming from between the nut and thread. I tighted this down before I joined the coupler to the wall pipe and I've very carefully tried to tighted it after the install but it still continues to leak.

The old valves in the first picture were connected with the same pressure fitting, but they appeared to have some kind of grey stuff on the threads. The guy where I bought the valve said I did not need anything with a pressure fitting so I did not use anything. Do I just need to keep trying and tighted this up more until it stops leaking or do I need to take the coupler loose and use some thread tape or thread sealer? It is getting very difficult to tighten it further without chancing damaging the cpvc pipe.

Thanks for any help guys. Murphy hates me and always causes something to go wrong.

Attachments

• water3.jpg
    water3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 298
  • water4.jpg
    water4.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 306

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Now you know why plumbers hate plastic pipe!

It is correct that no tape or dope (especially tape, it will CAUSE leaks) is required on a compression connector. However, it is a good ideas to use a little teflon paste or plumber's grease on the threads and a light coating on the ferrule. This is because we are dealing with great stress on a metal-to-metal friction situation. Also, it will prevent thread galling and make future removal easier.

If the pipe were copper, another 1/4 to 1/2 turn would usually stop your drip. With plastic, I hesitate to give this advice not knowing how tight it already is. Try a quarter turn, but then I would start over with a glue-on CPVC valve.

Stuart P.

Reaction score
Well, I went about 1/8 more on the tightning and I think that did it. At least it's been about 4 hours and the fitting is still dry. Thanks for the reply Jimbo.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks