First time here: Hello and a question

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Hi all,
I don't know what I'd do without online forums, although it's usually acoustic guitar forums for me.............However, I'm doing my bathroom over so here I am.

Thank you Terry, for hosting this wonderful place and all its knowledgeable people!

I'm setting an acrylic shower base after a dry rough in to get my new drain, trap and vent all set. Tested out just fine with water poured right down the drain, but without the flange set in plumbers putty.

I've now set the drain in the putty, and although it has 'loosened' a few times (as the putty squeezes out) I'm at the point of little putty squeeze-out, and the nut is quite firm, using the wrench they make for those things.

Any advice on how tight is enough, sans torque wrench or the like?

Thank you in advance for any info.

Best,
Howard

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Answered my own question...........

The 'instructions' that came with the Americh base basically said to hand tighten and then use wrench for another 3/4 turn..........Problem was that in doing that the flange was not seating as close to the surface as possible.

I understand that the putty is there to fill in any voids, but having the edge of the drain flange sitting up almost 1/8" was not acceptable.

Between the rubber gasket underneath, and the thick bead of plumbers putty, it really takes a few turns past 'hand tight' to get it to seat better, and it did. I just let the 'squeeze out' and subsequent 'loosening' of the nut guide my judgement.

The thought of having a small ring of standing water around the drain was not acceptable, and time was of the essence.

The postings I've seen regarding spreading the Structolite between two layers of plastic was a wonderful idea, and this morning the base feels like terrazzo!

Regards,
Howard

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for joining us here.

It sounds like you might have used too much putty. You need a bead fat enough to seal all around, and it is true that on initial tightening, some will squeeze out. A second snug on the nut after just a few minutes should finish the job. The top flange should basically become flush right on top of the acrylic, with putty filling the void that is underneath, but the putty is not holding the flange off. The rubber gasket under is doing most of the sealing.

Many folks will recommend silicone caulk instead of putty, but it sounds like you are done and it all came out well. Feel free to post some pics anytime so we can "inspect" the finished job!!

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Hi Jimbo,
Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate it....

The rubber gasket is underneath the base right next to the fiberglass undercoating, so the gasket and the puttied flange 'sandwich' the acrylic/fiberglass.

You're probably correct about my having used too much putty.

Even though the jar says 'Never hardens', it took a bit of kneading to get it to be compliant, and I rolled it between my hands to get a 'snake' about 1/4" in diameter to wrap around the underside of the drain flange.

I figured more is better than less, but next time I'll know better than that:)

Onward,
Howard

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
putty

The important thing is to make sure that no putty went through the bottom of the opening and got on the locknut threads. If it did the nut will tighten, but the drain will not be tight.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
The important thing is to make sure that no putty went through the bottom of the opening and got on the locknut threads. If it did the nut will tighten, but the drain will not be tight.

Hi HJ,
Yes, I was careful to wrap the putty around the flat of the flange, yet not too close to the neck. Whatever looseness I experienced was from the excess putty squeeze-out relieving the 'torque' pressure of the nut.

Thanks!

HE
http://www.howardemerson.com/ What I actually do........

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Re: What you actually do...

God, I wish I could do that; bought Crossing Crystal Lake... Cookie, if you see this, click on the "Listening Station" link and listen to "Flirty Skirt".

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks