PDA

View Full Version : Eradicating Fescue

prashster
04-21-2008, 05:14 AM
My lawn is infested with tall fescue. How can I eradicate it short of using a nonselective herbicide. The problem area is prominently in my front yard, so I'm leery of killing everything and starting over. Is there a selective? Anyone use "Certainty"?

Anyway, any help appreciated.

Some other info: I live in central NJ (Zone 5?) and my grass is otherwise a kb/rg/f mix. I've been using Jonathan Green's Sun and Shade mix for a few years now.

PEW
04-21-2008, 06:13 AM
If the area is not too large, and subject to sunlight, you can cover it with black plastic sheeting and cook it to death.

prashster
04-21-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm not against chemicals. I'm just trying to find a way to SELECTIVELY kill the fescue and not the otherwise desirable grass. I believe I know the (unfortunate) answer to the this; just hopin'.

jimbo
04-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Fescue is grass. Out here it is a desirable grass, as most of our lawns are infested with common bermuda.

Science does wonderful things, so I would ask your local nurseryman, but I would doubt that they have something which would kill just fescue, and not your other grasses.

prashster
04-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Yeah, I know the fescue's a grass. Looks pretty good on its own, but next to the shorter, darker, non-clumping breeds in my lawn, it just doesn't look right.

I haven't found better nursery men or advisors on most things than the people on this forum...

Thanks, looks like I'm headin' for the glyphosate!

Lakee911
04-21-2008, 09:38 AM
How 'bout removing it w/ a shovel? :)

prashster
04-21-2008, 09:41 AM
It's pretty tenacious. Tried already, and the area's too large.

Lakee911
04-21-2008, 07:06 PM
plant more? :)

PEW
04-23-2008, 05:13 AM
Not that it will help you, but I heard yesterday there will be a herbicide available later this year for wire grass which is very effective. Talked to someone who had a sample, which he said worked great.

Gary Swart
04-23-2008, 11:59 AM
To my knowledge, there is no product that will selectively kill what I'll term "narrow leaf" grasses. You can kill broad leaf plants without harming other grasses, but I know of nothing that will kill one type of narrow leaf and not the rest. I'd opt for Round-Up and kill everything in the area and re-sod or replant. The nice thing about Round-Up is it does not sterilize or adversely affect the soil so you can replant as soon as you get the area cleaned up.

prashster
04-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Thanks, everyone. I'm Rounding up.