Bathtub Enclosure for odd shaped tub

Users who are viewing this thread

soplisist

Reaction score
We are in the process of buying a 1930's house, and the inspector told us that it was going to be a bear to take the old tubs out of the bathroom, and that we might have to break the wall to do so. We aren't against the current tubs; they are in fine shape. But we did notice that the walls near the tubs had condensation problems, so we would like to install a tub enclosure. However, the tub is an odd shape. It is basically square on three of the four corners (the tub sits against the wall on two sides--the long side and the short side with the spigot), but has one rounded corner protruding out into the room. I was wondering if there is any enclosure that can be affixed on top of a rounded tub like this so that we can keep the condensation inside the tub as much as possible? I have been looking on line for a couple of hours now, and can't seem to find any 90 degree angle enclosures that have a rounded corner. Or alternatively, anyway to modify the tub?

Solipsist

soplisist

Reaction score
I went on line and looked at marble surrounds, and they don't seem to be what I am looking for. Maybe I explained myself badly, so I have attached a picture. I want to figure out a way to square off the curve of the tub so I can put in a backwards L shaped tub enclosure, or find a curved tub enclosure that will go around the curved corner.

Solipsist

Attachments

• tub2.jpg
    tub2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 3,837

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Please re-explain the problem: you said condensation on the walls. What does this have to do with the shape of the tub? That is a beautiful tub, and unless you just wanted to get rid of the pink tile, why would you remove the tub? I see a shower curtain. If it is used as a shower, I understand the problem of a shower curtain leaking. You could look at the new curved shower rods; this would complement the tub and improve performance.

soplisist

Reaction score
You can't see it in the picture, but the paint on the walls by the window at the end of the tub is bubbling and pealing from the condensation and water damage from water on the floor. So that is why the shower curtain is not our first choice. Presumably the people who lived their before, used the shower curtain, but the shower curtains never seem to be fool proof so you still get water on your floor. I don't want to take out the tile, and I would prefer not to take out the tub because it is a beautiful tub. I just want to outfit the tub with some sort of a glass or plexiglass tub enclosure so there is no possible way that the water could splash out, but I can't find one that is curved to go around the corner. So I was wondering if someone knew of some option for either squaring off the corner of the tub so that I could install a normal straight shower enclosure, or else some company that made curved enclosures.

Best,

Solipsist

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I still don't believe that changing the tub will solve the problem. If condenstation is the problem, it is not just because there is water on the floor. It is because it is a shower room, and most likely does not have adequate ( or any) ventilation.

I am not trying to talk you out of doing whatever you want....it's your house.

BUT, if the basic problem is the paint on the window, I offer these recommendations:

1. Scrape and sand down the window sashes, sills, and casings. Apply a top quality oil based primer, followed by a top of the line 100% acrylic high-gloss enamel.

2. Install an exhaust fan of minimum 100 cubic feet per minute, and if the room is large, I look for as much as 4 CFM per sqft. Be prepared to spend a little for a quiet model, but the money is well spent.

3. Look for "renovation" suppliers for a ceiling mounted shower rod system which will do a better job on your curved shower.
Try www.vandykes.com

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
are you keeping the tub??

Are you planning on keeping this tub???

Tearing out this one would be a major , major renovation .. that tub is sunk at least 2 inches ito the concrete tile floor ....

the old tile would also probably have to be changed out too...

the tiel walls anre probably also concrete with about twon inches of moarter onthe walls with a metal backing nailed to the 2x4

so you are looking at a major renovation here.

it depends on what you really want to do , maybe jsut putting up a couple of corner side splashes at the bottom of the corner would help...

also just puting a white trim piece along wher the shower curtain goes would make a good stopper to keep the water from sliping out of hte tub

it all depends on how nice and pleasing you want this old tub to turn out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

That corner tub was used so they would not have to contruct a wall on that end of the tub. Either for space, light, or aesthic reasons. There is no way to "modify" the tub, but custom shower constrtuctors could make two glass walls with a multipiece corner to seal it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is possible to bend plate glass prior to tempering it, but it wouldn't be cheap...it would look cool, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks