Gas line pipe too small?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dhoerl

Reaction score
The gas company (natural gas) just replaced a 30 year old meter with a new one - the location is quite out of the way, so I took a good look at it after the installer left. I really don't remember the old setup.

What I see now is that on the outlet side of the meter - the low pressure side - is a 2" - 3" 1/2" "stub" connecting the meter to the inside plumbing. There is some sort of "yoke" that this connects into above the meter - a metal bar that has connections on either side that bridge pipes to the meter.

The low pressure (regulated) side of the meter has a reducer stuck in it (probably a 3/4" to 1/2", then there is a 2" or 3" piece of 1/2" pipe, which is threaded into the "yoke". The yoke has a reducer in it - guessing 1" to 1/2", but to be truthful it looks old. The other side of the "yoke" goes to a 1" (or larger) main line that runs across the basement (and has taps into it).

Obviously this 1/2" stub is going to reduce the potential amount of gas the meter can deliver. How can I compute what that amount is?

Should I call the gas company and have it replaced with a 1" stub?

David

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

A short section of small pipe is usually irrelevent because the flow velocity can increase to compensate for it. It only becomes an issue with a longer section of pipe when friction loss starts to become an issue because of the higher velocity.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks