Installing New Water and Drain Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Intrepid

Reaction score
It's finally time to install a new sewer line and thought while I have the pit, may as well run a new water line in as well.

Any comments about size and/or type of copper coil will be appreciated.

Right now I'm thinking Camlee K 3/4 nsf 61. Is that too pricey?
Thanks!

https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
need more info on what your water supply is to say on size requirements. Copper prices will surprise you...expensive stuff. There may be alternatives, but it depends on where it is being connected, etc.

Intrepid

Reaction score
The water supply is city / county water.:confused:

COPPER WATER TUBE PRICE PER FOOT
NOMINAL TYPE K TYPE K TYPE L TYPE M
SIZE OXY/MED
INCHES COILS LGTHS LGTHS COILS LGTHS LGTHS
1/4 2.34 2.28 2.49 1.95 1.89
3/8 4.20 3.93 4.45 3.03 2.90 2.28
1/2 4.92 4.69 5.06 4.05 3.50 2.45
5/8 6.31 5.86 6.52 5.54 5.16
3/4 9.04 8.74 9.29 6.45 5.58 3.99
1 11.83 11.44 12.27 9.29 8.41 6.30

http://www.camlee.com/PriceSheets/Plumbing/PRICE134.pdf

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
How many bathrooms do you have??

3/4 is standard for a 1-2 bath, regular flow fixtures.

According to the UPC, type M is approved for underground exterior.

type L approved for underground indoor.

I WOULD USE NOTHING LESS THEN TYPE L THICKNESS.

Your codes may be different.

Remember, placement of the water line in the same trench is important, you cannot drop a water line on a sewer line and backfill, you need a ledge, 12" x 12" min.

Please visit your code book and local regulations.

Intrepid

Reaction score
2 baths.

LEDGE. That's what I'm missing. I knew it couldn't be as easy as dropping two lines in the same trench :)

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
Use K, but it is a waste of your money in my book, for a water service, you can always use more then required, in this case, K is better then M and L

Your code may require type K water service. Ours require M. according to
the new 2006

It used to be type L.

I choose to use L on everything, because of the thickness. Although it is getting hard because of the expense, I would rather eat it in labor or walk from the job then put in what I think is crap.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Type K may be overkill, but you aren't laying miles of it so the added expense will only sting for a little while.:p I've never been sorry for super sizing wiring, pipes, thickness, supports, etc.. I just can't understand the thinking of folks that doing things right on the edge of borderline when it cost so little to go one size larger, one grade better, one inch thicker. Leave room to grow or expand in the future.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
Before the huge increase in the copper increase, I used to do a 1" service for all 2 bath houses, no problem.

now, with the increase, I let the customer choose with 2 different estimates.

options, options, options, I had one the other day, 3/4" estimate, because it was a 1 bath and an 73 year old customer. not worth 1"

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tubing

Use type "L". "M" does not come in soft rolls so you would need a straight trench and several joints, and the material is really too thin for burial purposes. You will find "ACR" refrigeration tubing in 50' rolls but it is even less acceptable than type "M". We could not use M or ACR here. And you do not need "K" for that application.

Intrepid

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the stellar advice. hmmm, now where did I leave those backhoe keys...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks