Swanstone Shower Pan Creaking

Users who are viewing this thread

mikez68

Reaction score
We installed a Swanstone shower pan and now when you stand on it, there is some play in some spots of the pan and a creaking sound - like part of the underside of the pan is rubbing against something. We installed it over a new plywood sub-floor, and since the floor wasn't perfectly level we poured some Jiff-Set self-leveling floor compound down and installed the base on top of that. We then screwed the base flanges to the studs to keep it in place.

is there anything we can do to stop the creaking?

Thanks,

Mike

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are the walls up and tiled yet? If not, take the pan out and use some sand mix mortar under the pan to ensure all of the nooks and crannies are filled and supported. Mix it kind of wet and smush the pan down so it is level. If the walls are up, you may have to live with it. The use of the mortar mix under the pan is not optional if you want a good result (no creaks, deflection), in my limited experience. My unprofessional opinion.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
And, don't walk in or move the pan until the concrete has set.

mikez68

Reaction score
Walls are up but not tiled yet, so we may be able to still fix it. Depends on whether or not I can remove the drain. I have to check with my plumber, it may be cemented in. Thanks.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thought I would re-open this one since I'm doing the same thing.

On another forum a fella said to mix it DRY (not wetter)...

It is my understanding that you still want it to rest on the subfloor, correct? The mortar is only there to fill and areas where it can't rest on the subfloor. Correct?

In other words, the goal here is to smoosh it down to the subfloor, through the motar?

Thanks for clearing it up.

Pete

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Smush it so it is level...if that is to the subfloor, good, if not, it's still okay if you have full support.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks