Shower spout is leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

stickyforest

Reaction score
The spout of the shower is leaking, however im pretty sure its just because it isn't being turned off all the way due to the valve or stem? I shut off the water, removed the single faucet(it pulls out for on, and then turns left or right for hot and cold) then the metal back plate and this is what I have(see pictures). I tried looking online for hours or going to a few stores and no one seems to be able to help me. The large brass ring is attached to the piping. It is also quite possible the entire thing is screwed up, this area is known for its shoddy building. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_2472.jpg
    IMG_2472.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 437

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
How does this compare to your valve?

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/2739pt.pdf

It looks like you have already removed the #883 retainer clip.

All you need now is a Moen cartridge removal tool.
I use one made by Pasco.

The tools first duty is to rotate the catridge by slipping inside the brass and filling in between the plastic tabs then turning the plastic cartridge.

The second duty is a screw which pulls on the center stem of the cartridge, pulling the cartridge out.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
that looks like a plastic moen cartridge.

I bet if you don't have the moen puller, you can use a curved needle nose, spin the cartridge and then yank it out with a channel locks.

if you don't have a curved needle nose, then just pull it out with the channel locks with the water off.

The only time I really use my pullers is on the brass moen cartridges.

when you re-install the new cartridge, install it with some heat proof lube

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
that looks like a plastic moen cartridge.

I bet if you don't have the moen puller, you can use a curved needle nose, spin the cartridge and then yank it out with a channel locks.

if you don't have a curved needle nose, then just pull it out with the channel locks with the water off.

The only time I really use my pullers is on the brass moen cartridges.

It looks plastic to me also.

All to often I have seen where DIYers have tried similar methods when they did not have the proper tool. The plastic ears were all rounded off and when I came along with the right tool it was no longer an easy job.

I do not consider that to be good advice!

stickyforest

Reaction score
:)

So as of this morning my shower/tub is fixed and no longer leaking, about 5 minutes before i read your first response redwood, I found more information(after hours and hours of looking) about the cartridge, that along with the diagram(and mention of cartridge removal tool) you linked me too helped a lot. With new Moen cartridges, a small piece of white plastic is included, although nothing is mentioned about it. It slips inside of the brass and fills in the other 2 parts between the tabs on the old cartridge, so you can then use almost any pair of pliers to twist it back and forth, after that I took it off, and pulled the stem right out. Saved me 20 bucks from having to buy a Moen cartridge remover, however, the plastic is cheap and I'm sure only works under ideal conditions. Thanks for the great advice!:D

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
With new Moen cartridges, a small piece of white plastic is included, although nothing is mentioned about it. It slips inside of the brass and fills in the other 2 parts between the tabs on the old cartridge, so you can then use almost any pair of pliers to twist it back and forth, after that I took it off, and pulled the stem right out. Saved me 20 bucks from having to buy a Moen cartridge remover, however, the plastic is cheap and I'm sure only works under ideal conditions.

That is correct that it only works on the easy ones.
Some of them can be a bear to remove!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
puller

The first thing I do with that plastic piece is throw it in the trash can, because all it can do it is rotate the stem, it does not help you pull it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks