Leaky bathtub drain-waste assembly

Users who are viewing this thread

Fistor

Geotechnical Engineer
Reaction score
Hi all -

PROBLEM: I recently installed a tub, and a copper/brass drain-waste assembly. I test-filled the tub yesterday (while the walls are still off), and noticed leaks at several points on the assembly.

SOME ADDITIONAL INFO: It seems that the "biggest" leaks (i.e.drops forming every couple seconds) occur where the slip-nut connections for the main drain and for the overflow connect to the "T". These connections are where you tighten the brass nut down onto the little plastic, bevelled ring that snugs the tail pipes in to the "T" (I hope you know what I mean).

I have two additional pieces of info. One, the tail pipe from the overflow is not completely vertical with respect to the "T" - because of the tub position relative to the existing drain waste pipe, the tube from the overflow is ever so slightly (like maybe 1 to 2 degrees) tilted. Might this be enough to "open" the seal against the plastic ring? Two, I believe the drain waste pipe to be slightly slow-draining (not sure, but the old tub drained somewhat slowly). I was wondering if a slow-draining pipe lead to water backing up the overflow pipe? This made me wonder, are these slip nut joints "one-way" in terms of watertight? In other words, for gravity drainage, it might work, but if water backs up, is that an "automatic" leak? :confused:

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR: (1) I tried augering out the drain pipe to the trap to hopefully increase flow, not sure if I accomplished anything. We'll have to see. (2) I took the drain waste assembly apart, and plan to reassemble it (I was very careful the first time, but maybe I missed something). Also, I was planning to silicone every joint, such as the plastic ring under the slip nut, etc. - is that good/bad/ineffective?

I haven't finished reassembling, so I can't say if what I intend will fix it.

HELP! Suggestions? It just seems that the drainage should be relatively simple - gravity pipes, that's it. In my case, the water supply pipes (which I soldered) were a snap, charged and functional and no leaks, yet the drainage is causing me headaches!! :(

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

1. If you did the assembly correctly there would be no leaks even if the tub filled up because of a plugged drain.

2. Silicone will be very messy and will just cover up any poor connections.

3. That slight offset will not cause the leak, but it could make it difficult to extract the drain sealing plug.

4. Are you installing the plastic washers correctly?

Plumber Jim

Reaction score
Website
www.broomfieldplumber.com
Yea, Make sure the thin part of the nylon washer is going into the pipe and the thicker side is facing the nut.

Oh, and also make sure you teflon the mail theads on the tailpiece were it screws into the tee.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Backward washers was my first thought, as well...

The other thing - when you assemble everything - don't tighten any connection all the way, until the whole thing's put together. Then gradually tighten them, so they all are about the same level of tightness at any given time... I hope I'm explaining that clearly...

And be gentle. It's easy to clamp down too hard on slipnuts, and deform it, as you tighten. I try to do them by hand, maybe channel-locks at the very end if one's still leaking, but gently...

Wrex

Reaction score
I always have problems with leaks when I'm dealing with screw on tailpieces.

Teflon tape works but has failed me if not wrapped adequately I use brush on pipe thread sealer the type used for threaded gas lines. Liberally apply it to the tailpiece threads and screw it in.

As for sealing the drain to the tub. Am I the only old fashioned guy who still uses plumbers putty for this :)?

As for the low drain flow what type of pipe are you tieing into? If its galvanized then its probably plugged pretty badly.

Galvanized pipe I believe was only mean't to last 40 years.

Last edited:

Fistor

Geotechnical Engineer
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for all the replies.

As mentioned, I was pretty dilligent in connecting everything the first time, but there are some good suggestions there to keep in mind for the reconnect. I did, however, have the washer properly oriented :p The suggestion of gradually tightening is something to try, though :)

Wrex, bang-on with respect to the galvanized drain pipe - that's exactly what I've got. The house was built in '53, so who knows if that is the original drain or if it is a replacement of the original.

I'll let you know if it works out!

Thnx

Fistor

Geotechnical Engineer
Reaction score
*UPDATE*

Rebuilt the drain assembly, replacing the plastic bevelled ring with a new one bought for about $1.35 (for 2).

It now works - i.e. no leaks.

Looking closely at the replacement, it has a skinnier bevel than the original one that came with the kit. I am thinking that that was the reason - the thicker one just didn't seat properly/completely. It's funny, though, that it came with the drain waste kit.

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks