Water Heater Restart

Users who are viewing this thread

Garydaplummer

Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed
Reaction score
I have a relative's home that has sat unoccupied with the water shut off all winter. We are getting ready to turn the water back on (has a well) and clean up the house to put it on the market. It has an electric water heater that was drained down (yes, after turning the power off) and has sat that way since late October. When I refill the water heater would it be best to shock the water supply/water heater with chlorine since it was drained as best we could but surely not completely? Thought some of you with camps or vacation homes may have some advice. Toilets and traps were filled with RV antifreeze to avoid freeze breakage.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Just open the drain valve and flush it for a while then adjust up the lower stat as high as it will go and leave it that way a day or 2 then turn it down and all should be fine.

I would think adding chlorine might be hard unless there are unions evenn then it can be a PITB. You can add it if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have not heard of anyone shocking a water heater as you describe, but don't take that as the finally word. When you fill the heater, open the hot water faucet furthest away from the heater, turn the water to the heater on, but do not turn the power on yet. As the tank fills it will expel the air through the pipes and allow the tank to fill. When the water begins to run a full stream from the open faucet, the tank is filled and power can be applied. Failure to purge the air from the tank before the power is applied can burn out the elements in a flash. You could allow the water to flush the tank by opening the drain cock at the bottom of the tank before starting to heat the water. Not sure it's really necessary, but it won't hurt anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks