Extending a Natural Gas Line to Grill

Users who are viewing this thread

sbphuntington

Reaction score
I bought a NG grill for the deck. Have natural gas service in the house. I'd like to place the grill on the deck in a spot that's only about 10 feet away from the range in my kitchen. So basically what's involved is inserting a T fitting into the gas line in the basement,running a line out to the deck and installing a fitting at the end. If this were a water line, I would do it myself, but I don't want to mess with gas.

I had a plumber come by for an estimate (this work seems to get done by plumbers) -- and he came back with $750! Seems ridiculous. I'm getting other estimates, but my question is, is $750 to extend a gas line a few feet either a mistake or a rip off? Does it sound about right? If that's the going rate, so be it, but something smells fishy.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Probably some nuissence fee in there for the small job. Is he also pulling a permit?

I'm assuming you're using black iron pipe. If you have no unions, he will have to move the stove to undo the flex line from the stove, which then typically requires replacement per mfg instructions. He'll then have to undo each one of the connections back to the place where he wants to insert the tee. Then put those pieces back. He'll have to build the pipe from the tee to the outside, drill holes, maybe crawl under the deck? Add a valve and more flex line to the grill. The gas will need to be shut off and leak tested and inspected and then all pilots relit.

I can see it being a few hours at least.

Is a drip leg required for the grill?

Jason

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My neighbor did this and it cost her $1k.

Take careful note of the national fire codes...there are some fairly new and quite restrictive code requirements for both propane fired and natural gas applicances (grills) when used on decks. It gets much tougher on a multi-family dwelling, too. They make it very difficult to meet the requirements when using propane, and still tough with NG to meet the spacing and clearance requirements.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You will see that tee-ing into an existing line is not so simple. You either have to take a lot of pipe apart, then reassemble, or cut into the line and rethread the ends in place.....not fun. You will want an additional shut off valve. Naturally, a permit is required and the lines must be tested.

What does your local code require for pipe outside? Black, painted? Galvanized? Epoxy?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks