What the?

Users who are viewing this thread

ksb1966

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

First let me say, the sun is shining for three days in a row. Yee hoo!

So I've been changing the old receptacles, light switches and fixtures in my 70 year old house. Have encountered a couple of weird situations (weird for me, I'm a neophyte who doesn't really have a clue what I'm doing - but I ask lots of questions and pay attention!!), and am currently scratching my head over my hallway /sunporch light switches....

There is a double electrical box with two switches in it. One turns on the hall light. The other turns on the sunporch light. One's function does not appear in any way to relate to the other. When I took off the cover and unscrewed the switches from the box I was surprised by what I found: A grey fabric wire, coming from the "source" (I don't know the right terminology, sorry) is fed into one side of the box. Two grey fabric wires, coming from the "source" is fed into the other side of the box (giving me a total of three white wires and three black wires). The three white wires have been twisted together and capped with a marette. The first black wire is screwed to the top screw of hall switch. On the other side, one of the black wires is screwed to the top screw of the sunporch switch. The other black wire is screwed to the bottom screw of the sunporch switch. An additional piece of black wire is screwed ALSO to the bottom screw of the sunporch switch and reaches over to the hall switch where it is screwed onto the bottom screw.

Firstly, I was expecting to find only 2 source wires. I expected to find one white and one black wire each attached to the top and bottom screws of each switch. I don't know from where or why the third source wire is in there. There is a light switch in the living room that doesn't turn anything on, but you can see where there used to be a ceiling light at one time. My best guess is that one of the source wires used to be connected to that as three-way light (but it doesn't really make sense why you'd have an on/off switch to that light at the entrance from the sunporch).

Anyway, do I simply re-attach all wires to the new switches from whence they came. Or does it sound like something unsavoury was rigged up in there and I should re-fangle it?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for having this forum; it's awesome to be able to ask for help!!!

Sincerely, Karen

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switches

If I can follow your descsription correctly, the wires on the "tops" of the switches are going to their respective lights. The wire on the bottom of the first switch is the hot/feed, and the little "jumper" wire is supplying the power for the second switch. It is a common way of ganging switches together, and if there were additional switches there would be more of those short wires connecting them together.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Well Karen if it is working now it must have been connected right wouldn't you think.

By what you are saying what you have is one cable that is supplying power and two cables that are the switch legs to each of the lights.

The grounded (neutral if you please) white wire simply passes through the switch box and the hot wire supplies the two switches with each switch having its swithch leg attack to the other screw.

When you open a switch and see both the white and black conductor on the switch this means that the light was fed from the source instead of the switch

ksb1966

Reaction score
Thank you!

I appreciate both of your prompt responses. It's so great to be able to do things myself - with help from people like you! I'll put it back together with new switches in the same way I take it apart. Thanks very much for letting me know what to do.

As for using the philosophy that "it works" as a guide for what to do.... I have to say I'll pass on that. I've discovered a number of handyman "tricks" that have glued this house together over the past several decades that were either done out of laziness, layman's genius, or utter stupidity - I'm not sure - but given the burden of wanting things done "right", they've taken me much time and trouble to undo and redo; but have rewarded me with a great deal of satisfaction and heck, even pride for having done it properly!

Thanks so much for your expertise, I'm very grateful!

Karen

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks