Relocate bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

chaos

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be remodeling the rest of the house soon. I'm quite handy and do know what I'm doing for the most part. Machinist/Fabricator by day and DIYer by night.

New to the plumbing world so here comes my question.

I have a bathroom on the ground level of my ranch w/ basement. I would like to move the bathroom to the other side of the house. Is this possible plumbing wise?

Thanks for all the help!

Dave

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Anything's possible, but you may have to tear up a whole bunch to make it happen. Is this on a slab or do you have a basement? At what level does the sewer exit the basement (if you have one)? If you don't have a basement, and don't want to tear up the slab from the old to the new section, do you know where the drain lines run? How do they get to the city sewer, or do you have a septic tank? Are you willing to tear up the lawn to make a connection outside? Getting through the footings can be problematic, but possible.

The drain pipes need 1/4" per foot drop. If you can't make that, you could put in a a pump and pump it, but those are to be avoided if possible - extra cost, complexity, and eventually it will need maintenance...it's not the nicest work digging into a sewage pit to fix the pump.

If you have a basement, and the drain line exits the house low enough, it shouldn't be too big a deal.

M3

Reaction score
I'm finishing a similar project on a 1970's ranch; had to move the main drain waste stack for the entire house in order to combine two rooms and make a larger bathroom. I added a tub w/separate shower and moved the toilet. I hired a plumber to do the rough in but I did all the demo, concrete, and now I'm getting ready to tile... It's quite the job, but it can be done. Get several bids from plumbers and make sure you work with one who will help you plan so it gets executed properly. I got estimates from $1500 - $8100 just for the rough in work! I went with some one in the middle and paid a little extra for the his help in planning, but he did a nice job for me and it is turning out great.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks