Leak in Cast Soil Stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I have a leak coming from a 2nd floor tub drain. The water is pouring out in a steady stream where the soil stack turns into the basement from the exterior wall.

At first I suspected the leak was coming from somewhere upstairs and simply catching a ride along the cast pipe until it hit the basement. The pipe runs behind the wall of a 14" linen closet. I was able to cut a hole in the 1st floor closet wall and touch all around the pipe and it's dry at a height of about 5'

So the I cut a hole lower about 1' from floor and still dry.

I believe the leak is coming from the 90deg sweep that the pipe takes to transition from the exterior wall over the foundation into the basement.

Is it common or likely that the 90deg elbow cracked somehow?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Is it common or likely that the 90deg elbow cracked somehow?
If its the old lead filled hub joints, it very possible. It doesn't happen often, but I do notice it happens more on longer horizontal runs of soil pipe, anything over 2'.(Thats not to say that it can't happen on shorter runs either). It could happen on the vertical, but I haven't seen that too often.

The horizontal runs ten to move up and down with the house at the point that it changes direction to a vertical run, then the centre portion will eventually crack laterally(lengthwise)

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
thanks for the help. I was half right.

The 90deg sweep was the problem, but it wasn't cracked on the backside like I suspected. The Hub portion was rusted/rotted out completely. It was completely seperated, clean cut from the fitting.

It was a PITA to cut the cast pipe. I ended up having to cut a 12"x12" square on the opposite wall(kitchen behind a cabinet) to get a snap cutter in(which i borrowed from a friend a while ago and still didn't return, I knew there was a reason!)

I suppored the heck out of the vertical pipe inside the closet before cut anything. Then it was just a matter of replacing with new PVC.

Just curious, what do you guys think it would have cost me if a plumber did it?

Summary of Work
The amount of pipe replaced was about 1ft-4"in the first floor, a few 45streets,a 90, a 4x4x4 wye and 3-4" Ferncos with metal bands & about 3 more feet of 4" in the basement. All work on first floor had to be done under kitchen counter where I removed a cabinet and thru the backside of a tiny linen closet.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Mark, I see your in indianapolis, I'm in CT and know our prices for anything is off the charts here. Is that range u gave pretty typical? How much of a premium is charged for a Sat call?

Just curious about this kinda stuff bc I usually just figure out how to do the repair and take of it myself. Occasionally I wonder, if it was worth my time or should I just have called in a pro and paid the price.

I would say based on your price estimate and the under 2.5 hrs it took me that I made out alright.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
drama and bravado are normally figured into the price

Perhaps I need to move.

but from what you stated it did not sound
like it would be worth much more than a grand.....

It really depends on who you call in the yellow pages

because Basically whatever the market will bear is what
the price will be........in many cases around the country.

Lots of plumbers are working on a 60% comission
or they are working on a flat rate book so they get
about half of the bill for that job goes right into their pocket....

to estimate a job properly,
all it takes basic skills and a little bit of Bravado,
and Pt. Barnum showmanship mixed in when giving
the estimate......
.Perhaps a worried look on your face for a minute
or two while you are estimateing the job
mumble under your breath a little to yourself..

that is always worth another 200 bucks alone.....

Even at my low estimate for that job...

occcasionally a job goes much faster than I
anticipated it would go..and I realize I am going to
reap a fairley decent windfall......

that is when you got to rap on the
pipes for 10-20 minutes ....maybe give the pipes a
loud stern talking to ...like you got into big troubles

that lets the customer upstairs
feel that he is getting his moneys worth.....LOL

maybe I ought to teach a class..

Last edited:

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
LOL, Thanks for the good laugh Mark.

I think I would have made a good plumber. I dropped several f-bombs as the fittings kept falling thru the first floor down to the basement as I was trying to dry fit them in place to take pipe measurements.

I think any customer would have thought I was running into issues when in fact I was just pissed I kept having to run down the stairs to go fetch the fitting I just dropped!!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep! Marks price is cheap!
If you had called me on Saturday I'd say 800-1G
Feel good and reward yourself! Nice Job!

Ya gotta watch what you say when ya drop stuff...
You're right! It starts the customer worrying.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks