Bathtub water flow rate question

Users who are viewing this thread

texcollins

Reaction score
I need to put a faucet valve in my bathtub and have been presented with two choices, either a 14.9 GPM@45 PSI or a 7.2 GPM@45 PSI. Can anyone tell me what a standard bathtub flow rate is? There is about $150 difference between the two choices and I'm wondering the flow rate in a typical bathtub is so I might have an idea how to compare. Thanks!:confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One question would be what size pipe you have feeding the tub, and at what length from the main/water heater. 1/2 inch pipe will not deliver 14 GPM, without way too much pressure drop. You would have a water velocity of 14 feet per minute ( way too much ) and a pressure drop of 22 psi in 40 feet.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As noted, the biggest thing is what size are your supply lines? My guess is that the higher flow rated one expects 3/4" supply lines, and you won't get that flow unless they are that big.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The larger flow tub fillers are primarily for large tubs. Yes the supply would have to be there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks