PDA

View Full Version : Space above

chuckmg
03-21-2008, 07:53 PM
We have a toilet that we want to replace. It is unfortunately under a sink shelf ... see picture. It is 35.5 inches to the underside of the shelf over the toilet. We want dual-flush and wished to install a Toto Aquia. With the tank lid off, the Aquia measures 29 inches to the top. That would leave 5.5 inches clearance above the tank. Too small to put a head in to look see. There are only 2 units in the tank. It looks like, if needed, they could be removed with that minimal clearance above the tank. Am I being realistic? Would it be wise to purchase the unit with that clearance constraint?

Chuck

Terry
03-22-2008, 08:52 AM
http://www.terrylove.com/wc/toto/aquia_inside_tank.jpg

I think five inches would be fine.
The flush valve can be rotated and lifted out

hj
03-22-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't know why you would want to replace a toilet that cannot overflow if it stops up with one that can, but as long as there is room for you to operate the push buttons, that should be your main concern. When it has to be repaired or serviced a way will be devised to do it.

Terry
03-22-2008, 01:46 PM
why you would want to replace a toilet that cannot overflow if it stops up with one that can?

I had the Aquai installed for two years, and Cathy has one, installed two years plus,
Neither of them have been stopped up.
They have a fairly large trapway.
Bigger than most.

5.5" is plenty of space to work with.

chuckmg
03-22-2008, 03:53 PM
hj,

why you would want to replace a toilet that cannot overflow if it stops up with one that can?

I admit, it's a pretty looking toilet ... BUT,
1. it stops up with undesirable frequency even after having the plumbing roto-rooted ... we are in a bungalow without a basement.
2. annoyingly often the flapper doesn't close properly ... even after plumber installed a new one. My wife called the plumber because she thought the problem was my ineptness in diagnosing and replacing the flapper.

Can't think of any other good reason. :)

Chuck

chuckmg
03-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the quick response Terry.

Chuck