Replacing a galv nipple

Users who are viewing this thread

shag_fu

Reaction score
I just bought a really old 2 unit building and need to do a little plumbing to get the water flowing properly. I have a galvanized nipple connecting the supply, into a gate valve, into what looks like brass 90 and nipple. I want to replace it with all 3/4 copper pref with maybe a 1/4 turn valve. What I havent seen before is the attachment at the city pipe to the nipple. How would I change that to get where i need to be. see phote:
DSCF3673.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Redwood goes all in on the lead pipe!:cool:

Seriously, You want a plumber on this job! There is nothing there that touched will not lead to a bigger job!:eek:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

That looks like a badly abused copper line with half a union and the union nut still on it. There is no way they could have made a proper connection where the small pipe is connected. It appears that they slid a section of smaller tubing, maybe 3/4" o.d. refrigeration tubing inside it and made some kind of handyman joint. So you should remove that half union and extend it with a coupling and full sized copper tubing.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I didn't think copper could bend that bad!

Dang Redwood scoops back his chips while the dealer isn't looking... And get tossed out of the C*a*s*i*n*o rolls across the sidewalk bruised and battered.

Last edited:

shag_fu

Reaction score
I think Ill go with redwood on this one. I dont know when the last time the curb valve was touched so if it breaks if i turn it off its on me, no thanks. and who knows if Ill get it back on again.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
That looks like a badly abused copper line with half a union and the union nut still on it. There is no way they could have made a proper connection where the small pipe is connected. It appears that they slid a section of smaller tubing, maybe 3/4" o.d. refrigeration tubing inside it and made some kind of handyman joint. So you should remove that half union and extend it with a coupling and full sized copper tubing.

I'll go with hj on this one. originally I thought lead, but I've only seen that once on a water line (Caldwell, ID). On a closer look that line is copper and looks like it's kinked before it turns up into it's adapter.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I thought lead at first too,zoomed in on the pic and you can see a red
tinge to it.1" type L copper?

shag_fu

Reaction score
Nope, its lead. I cut a little with my knife came off shiny silver. The red tinge might be rust or just the overall crappiness of the basement.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Dang, Redwoods wife comes skipping out the C*a*s*i*n*o door happy as a lark... While I diverted their attention she went all in on a lead pipe cinch!:D

She takes me out to dinner...

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Nope, its lead. I cut a little with my knife came off shiny silver. The red tinge might be rust or just the overall crappiness of the basement.

That's what I thought ... then everyone convinced me it wasn't ... so ya gonna replace it? :rolleyes:

I'd be curious to see how they made up that lead to copper joint .... is it a poured lead joint or something?

shag_fu

Reaction score
Yeah, I gotta do something. I might wait til it warms up a bit. And I get some money flowin again. Im havin a pro look at it this week to see how bad it might be. Ill try to get some pics for curious parties.

Schrammdriller

Pumps and well contractor for 25 years
Reaction score
All municipalities I know must change out lead service pipes at their cost. Most have a program to do so, but many are on a "complaint basis" = waiting for your call and threat to sue. Does this come from a main into your meter?

Be sure not to make a pot of coffee from that first shot of water in the morning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks