Water heater element question

Users who are viewing this thread

dannyrg

Reaction score
I recently purchased an E-tech water heater heat pump. In order to use this heat pump to heat the water in my hot water heater, the power rating of the water heater must not exceed 4500W. Currently, I have an AO Smith water heater in perfect condition. The problem that I have is that my water heater has a combined (dual element) consumption of 9000W. Since this particular model of water heater doesn't have an electronic thermostat, can't I simply disconnect the supply wire to one element (the lower one) to satisfy the load rating of the heat pump and avoid buying another water heater? I am very interested if anyone has ever used one of these E-tech heat pumps, and if they had good results. The units have been made for 25+ years, so I think the technology is mature. Plumbers...please help! Thanks.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, only 1 element at a time comes on so you should be OK.

If you are concerned about being at the max. of 4500W you can have the elements changed to 3500W by a plumber.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Very few, like none, residential water heaters have the wiring to operate both elements simultaneously. The rating plate normally has a "maximum wattage," besides that for the top and bottom elements, showing that only one of them operates at a time. If you were to disable one of them, it should be the upper one.

dannyrg

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the help...I'll give this a try with my current water heater. With energy costs so high, I expect to save $30-50/month with the water heater heat pump. I'm not quite sure why these installations aren't more common, other than the high initial cost. I bought mine super cheap, so it should pay for itself in only a few months. I have yet to find anyone who has installed these, or knows anything about them for that matter. Anyone ever installed a water heater heat pump? Thanks again!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If your WH used 9000 watts, it would have to be on probably a 50 amp breaker. Even money, you are on a 30 amp breaker, indicating that your elements are configured for non-simultaneous operation. No worries, mate!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks