1st floor/basement shower addition

Users who are viewing this thread

DK

Reaction score
Hello!

Remodiling bath & I'd like to add a shower.

The floor is concrete w/ a cinder block wall behind sheet rock leading to full basement 5 steps below. (house is a 'split ranch')

The sink has no vent pipe & drains into the main stack w/ goop. I'd like to move it closer to the toilet to make room for the shower.

My concerns are the venting and cutting into the main stack (and floor) for the shower drain. And wether the sink & shower can drain into the stack together.

I'm going to hire a pro. to rough it in, but I'd like to do as much as possible.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• bath ruff all b&w 2.jpg
    bath ruff all b&w 2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 386
  • bath ruff basement b&w 2.jpg
    bath ruff basement b&w 2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You definitely need a plumber because you have more issues than you realize. And there is nothing you can do to make it "easier" for the plumber.

Bombjay

Reaction score
Have no fear.Your plumber will be able to do this just fine.It will be a bit of work to open the floor and pop the wall open to get to the vent (I'm certain there is one in there!)
And the connection into the stack will not pose a problem.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes in our eagerness to help and maybe save a couple of dollars, we end up doing more than necessary or doing the wrong things and it ends up costing at least as much and possibly more than if we just keep our cotton pickin' hands out of it. :D

DK

Reaction score
helpful DIY?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know I need a plumber, just not the "plumber" who did the work in the first place. Perhaps if the previous owners had helped or had some advice about the "issues" before hand?
I'd like to make sure this is done right. And I'm not trying to make it "easier" for the plumber. I like doing my own work, AND paying people for their expertise.

Bombjay !?!
- the sink is not vented. But it seems that
if the diameter, length & slope of the waste pipes are correct the Main Stack acts as the waste removal AND Vent for the fixtures?

"By necessity there is always a section of line from the actual "trap weir" to the drain line to which the fixture is connected. That section of line is defined as the "Fixture Arm" and it serves a dual purpose as both the vent and the drain line.
By example, a shower is required to have a 2" diameter drain line and all lines 3" or less are required to have a ¼" per foot pitch so the maximum un-vented section of line would be 2" / .25" = 8’. (Keep in mind that if the actual measured pitch of the line is greater than ¼" per foot the length would be less. By example, if you actually have a ½" per foot pitch the maximum length of a 2" line would be 2" / .5 = 4’.) This means that if the total length of the pipe from the trap weir to the vented branch drain, main drains or vented stack is 8’ or less you would not be required to install any additional venting.

The UPC begins with the same formula then they de-rate the overall length approximately 40% thus we must use the published table of Fixture Arm lengths.

1-1/4" pipe ……………………………….. max 2’6"
1-1/2" pipe………………………………………3’6"
2" pipe……………………………………………5’
3" pipe……………………………………………8’
4" or larger pipe…………………………………12’

Thus if you are under the UPC for your shower you may have a maximum of 5’ of pipe from the "Fixture Arm" to the main drain, vented branch line or stack without requiring an additional vent."

True for the First State?

Or>
Air admittance valve
Air admittance valves (AAVs) are pressure-activated, one-way mechanical vents, used in a plumbing system to eliminate the need for conventional pipe venting and roof penetrations. A discharge of wastewater causes the AAV to open, releasing the vacuum and allowing air to enter plumbing vent pipe for proper drainage. Otherwise, the valve remains closed, preventing the escape of sewer gas and maintaining the trap seal. Using AAVs can significantly reduce the amount of venting materials needed in a plumbing system, increase plumbing labor efficiency, allow greater flexibility in the layout of plumbing fixtures, and reduce long-term roof maintenance problems associated with conventional vent stack roofing penetrations.

While some state and local building departments prohibit AAVs, the International Residential and International Plumbing Codes allow it to be used in place of a vent-through-the-roof.

Attachments

• possiable Drains.jpg
    possiable Drains.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 374
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks