washing machine drains into sink

Users who are viewing this thread

chewbaccaroc

Reaction score
Yesterday our washing machine started draining into our laundry room sink. The pipes look like a cross. Left goes to the sink, right goes to the washing machine, up is vented to the roof, and down drains. We have no idea what to do and can not afford to call a plumber. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The drain has a stoppage and needs to be cleaned out with a snake.
Is there a cleanout plug above the cross on the vent?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
When was your house built?

Where is the washer, basement or 1st floor or are you on a slab.

chewbaccaroc

Reaction score
Our house was built in 1947 but we think the laundry room was an addition later on; not sure when, but probably still decades ago.
It must be "on slab" I guess. There is nothing under it. It is just a concrete floor.
Will have to check about a clean out plug. I don't think so but I don't know exactly what that would look like.
Yes, eventually the sink drains. It is a really, really big sink and it fills to within an inch of the top. So it takes awhile, but it goes down. Leaves dog fur and dirt and stuff behind in the sink.
I don't think a snake will go down the sink drain.

chewbaccaroc

Reaction score
As I said originally, we can not pay a plumber to come out. That is just not an option. I don't think our sink snake will go down the sink drain because there is a little plastic piece like a cross in it that is not removable and I don't think the snake will fit. But, I will try the snake tomorrow. There is something that looks like it might be a cleaning plug a few feet about the cross, but the whole pole is painted so the plug would be painted shut if that's what it is. Thanks so much to everyone who has given input so far.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry, try the chemicals, rent a snake but in the end there is a 97.5 % chance that only a plumber 's visit will cure your problem. I realize that its not an optionfor you, but chances are it is your only option. In the end, what you pay for chemicals, rental equipment, and taking your laundry to the laundromat while the drain is clogged the plumber would probably be less expensive.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The little cross in the sink outlet often collects lint and hair. You can usually clean it out with needle-nose pliers.

There is usually a trap below the sink that can be disassembled and cleaned.

Try it after you take care of those two easy areas.

Cookie

Reaction score
Chemicals aren't such a good idea, can't they be caustic to the plumber if he has to come out?

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I agree! But what good does that do to tell someone who is going to try every unsuccessful method known to man to avoid calling the one person who can cure his problem?

I really do wish you all the luck in the world but for the washer discharge to come up in the sink its not something caught in the drain crossbars. The clog is deeper in the pipes.

Next to most clogged drains I fix there are several bottles of drain cleaner, a plunger, a blow bag, and a kinked up snake. They usually have been playing with it for several days and include the price of every unsuccessful method they tried in addition to my charges as they complain to me about how much it cost them to get the drain unclogged.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A clean-out looks like a Y with a plug in one arm. If you can find one, remove the plug and run the snake in from there. You can also remove the trap under the sink then try the snake. I have to tell you though, often the clogs in drains will either be too far in for a small DIY snake, the snake will have too small a tip to clear the clog and just poke past it, or you will just push the clog deeper and tighter. Chemicals do not work and they will create a hazard for the plumber you will end up calling. I suppose you will try the chemicals anyway, so please tell the plumber what, when, and how much you used. He might charge extra if he has to deal with caustic drain cleaners. I can just repeat what others have already warned, you will probably not be able to clear this yourself, and if you try more than just the easy stuff, it may well cost you more in the end.

Bombjay

Reaction score
Gary is quite right.The hand snake has a small tip but if your going to try maybe you will meet with some suck-cess.
Remove the trap all the way back to the wall.You will have 2 pieces.
***Kink the end of your snake to ,at least, a 45 degree bend so you actually restore some diameter back to the line you are cleaning.
Crack a cold-frosy-malty beverage and give 'er hell.
You have galvanized or cast plumbing in a house of that vintage so you are dealing with YEARS of hard goopy build up.It's a dirty job,have some rags handy.
Good luck.
When/if it all fails call your *neighborhood* drain cleaning professional.

power_spin.jpg

small hand snake

Last edited by a moderator:

MG

Reaction score
As I said originally, we can not pay a plumber to come out. That is just not an option. I don't think our sink snake will go down the sink drain because there is a little plastic piece like a cross in it that is not removable and I don't think the snake will fit. But, I will try the snake tomorrow. There is something that looks like it might be a cleaning plug a few feet about the cross, but the whole pole is painted so the plug would be painted shut if that's what it is. Thanks so much to everyone who has given input so far.

What will you do when the backup becomes so bad that you have no choice? Not do laundry?

That house is old - odds are that cleanout plug isn't coming out without a fight.

Reaction score
harsh chemicals

in my humble opinion, if this is from a washer, the chances are the issue is lint. Lint comes from clothes threads, also could be some dirt and sand from clothes, but.
The question is....if Drano disolves hair, and it does, I tested it, will it dissolve cloth threads, you may want to do an experiment
If it does, the drano may temporarily help you.

Best bet, do it right , use a good snake

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The question is....if Drano disolves hair, and it does, I tested it, will it dissolve cloth threads, you may want to do an experiment

Right..... I can't begin to tell you how many of those tough hair clogs I've removed after Draino!

Egyptian Mummies 5,000 years old still have hair on them!
Hair is one of the toughest substances there is!

If you put something in a drain that dissolves hair...

Its going to China baby!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks