Enlarging Holes Around Existing Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

maenos

Reaction score
My water pipes have been making a loud ticking, tapping sound since we moved into our new house a year ago. The ceiling is now opened up and I've been able to fix a few spots, yet there's one spot where the hole in the floor beam is too small for the pipe - leaving the pipe w/ no room to expand. I'm wanting to enlarge the hole w/out having to cut out the pipe. What's the best way to do this? My first thought was using a drill and just cut out one small piece at a time around the pipe.

Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

Because of the clearance needed for the drill motor itself, you will not be able to drill straight through the beam, or close to the pipe. About the only way to cut close to the pipe is with a saw which has an offset blade attachment.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you use a power tool, you will need to be very careful so as not to damage the pipe. If this is a water supply line, it might be easier to cut a section out of the pipe, enlarge the hole, then replace the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks