Buying 90-year-old home

Users who are viewing this thread

jatfromklb

Reaction score
Buying a 90-year-old-house

I am thinking of buying a 90-year-old house. want to built bookcases into wall spaces for space issue; what were the measurements between boards and how deep were the areas where the insulation goes in 1918? As you can tell I am a girl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Actually I couldn't tell that you are a girl since there weren't any pics!

In older homes you'll find that stud spacing can be erratic. The stud spacing isn't allthat important since you'll likely just header off the studs and create a new spacing.

You'll be lucky if you find any insulation but if you do it will likely be 1.5" white batting.

Also it is likely not a good idea to place an in wall bookshelf on an exterior wall. Interior walls typically have no insulation in them.

Also as a side note consider that electrical wiring typically runs in the wall and that putting in a book shelf may become a hassle if you need to move the electrics.

Tom

jatfromklb

Reaction score
buying a 90-year-old home

thanx tom. the reason i said i was a girl was because of the lack of tech language 'how deep where the insulation goes.'

what are normal stud sizes for older homes? 2"by2", 2"by4", 2"by6", 4"x6"?

assuming no insulation is there, i thought about putting a 1/2- to 3/4-height (from the ceiling) between studs with insulation between. old house i once lived in had wiring along lower parts of the walls. these shelves would be just in some areas of home; living, bed, and bath.

oldielocks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The studs might be full depth 2x4"...they could be anything. If the walls are plaster, there could be lath and it could be thicker than 1/2" drywall and a pain to cut out cleanly or patch. If the other side is plastered, too, there could be plaster globs sticking through the lath preventing you from using the full depth, and attaching a back could be a pain.

jatfromklb

Reaction score
90-year-old house

thanx jim. don't know how to know without buying the thing.

but your advise will be appreciated.

oldielocks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Prior to about WWII dimensional lumber was actual size, in other words a 2 X 4 was 2" X 4" For many years now it has been 1/2" under. And when you go way back, all bets are off. But at 90 years, I say good chance you studs are actual 2" X 4"/ I think it is less likely that you have consistent spacing.

jatfromklb

Reaction score
90-year-old house

thanx jimbo. perhaps i will have to tear down one wall at least to see what's going on in there. remodeling with regular wallboard should give me a reasonable depth for slip-in shelves. in between i would put in thick insulation. Northern Idaho can get awfully cold. this house must have been built well if it is still solid.

oldielocks

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Locks,

If your placing this book shelf on an exterior wall I would advise against it in a cold climate. Unless your book shelf is an 1" deep or less you won't have enough room to put enough insulation to keep the wall space warm during the winter.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt you could.

If its an interior wall then you won't need insulation. Interior walls are typically only insulated for sound barrier.

Tom

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can almost bet the studs are a true 2" x 4", but the spacing is another matter. Now days with 4'x8' drywall sheets the norm, stud spacing has become standardized at 16", but in the days of yore, it was not necessary to be so precise. An inexpensive stud finder will tell you where they are. I agree with the others with concerns about building into an exterior wall, and even the interior wall. You would not gain that much space and I seriously doubt it would be worth the time, effort, and expense.

shag_fu

Reaction score
If your buying a house to live in, I would recommend living in it at least a year before tearing into it. By then you will know almost all of the things that could be wrong with it including heating, electrical, plumbing etc that need to be fixed before you put the pretty things in that might get in the way of fixing the essentials.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks