Kohler shower faucet stem removal

Users who are viewing this thread

adbradley

Reaction score
I have an old Kohler 3 knob faucet in my shower. The house was built in 1968 and it's the original faucet. I am trying to remove the diverter stem and I have not had any luck. I was able to get the bonnet off, but the stem seems to be stuck. It looks like the stem has a flared end that is behind a brass washer. The stem is still stuck in the wall and I'm afraid if I try to pull it out, I'll damage the plumbing in the wall. Is there any way to get the stems out of these faucets?
Also, is there a way to determine the model number of my faucet? I have looked everywhere for a model numebr and cannot find one. At least that way I'd be a little more informed when I go to the local plumbing supply house. Thanks for your help...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stem

We do not know if you are unscrewing the bonnet at the proper place to remove it, or if you have just removed a packing nut. If you have unscrewed the correct thing and the stem is just stuck in the body, pulling it out will not damage the "in the wall" portion. All stems are made to be removed so obviously there is a way to remove yours. We just cannot tell you exactly how to do it without being there to show you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks