siphoning

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
When a drain is designed improperly and one fixture siphons the water out of another fixtures trap, when does the siphoning happen? While the drain water is quickly flowing past the pipe or immediately following it?

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Why venting is important

When a drain is designed improperly and one fixture siphons the water out of another fixtures trap, when does the siphoning happen? While the drain water is quickly flowing past the pipe or immediately following it?

This reads to me that you need a relief vent between the fixture that is causing your problem, and the siphoned fixture. A vent will add air to your drainage system and prevent any other fixture traps from being siphoned.
Good Luck,
Rudy

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score

as the water flows through the drain it creates a vacume effect that sucks the water out of the trap. This could happen immediatley with a large volume at once as when you flush a toilet, or gradually as a tub drains. So theoretically it could be either way.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This reads to me that you need a relief vent between the fixture that is causing your problem,
Rudy

I dont have a problem in my house, if I did I could probably test it and then asnwer my own question for one type of improper dwv'ing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
siphon

High flow can create a venturi vacuum, but when the water flow stops, the inertia of the final water can also create a low pressure area behind it. So you answer is either or both times can cause the problem. But those same conditions will make a drain flow faster if it does not have a vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks