Broken threads on check valve cap

Users who are viewing this thread

dugma78

Reaction score
Hi there folks,

I've spent the past few days struggling with the plumbing in the mechanical room of a small house I've built. I'd fixed everything until all that was left to repair was one joint near a check valve. I figured out that water was pooling in the check valve (it has a rounded, bulbous shape) and that it was bubbling up from the nearby heat of soldering, running toward the joint I was soldering and, of course, ruining it. So I removed the top of the check valve by unscrewing the cap, dried everything thoroughly (it seemed to "hide" water in its flap, too, requiring a ton of compressed air to get totally dry), and re-soldered successfully.

Then--predictably, after all the missteps I've had--the cap to the check valve made a funny noise as I was seating it into place. I opened it back up to examine and found that a half-round of the female thread of the valve had broken off. I was a bit stunned--I really hadn't tightened the cap that much. I hoped that it wouldn't make a difference, so I put it back on, tightened again, and POP! The cap snapped in half along the male threads.

Argh.

So my questions are:

1.) Is there any way to fix the female thread that snapped off? Is it absolutely necessary? The cap seals with a little plastic ring at the base of the threads. Removing the valve and replacing it seems impossible at this point. I'd like to just get a new cap and put it back into place. I think *I* might snap in half if I have to remove and replace the whole thing...

2.) What did I do wrong? Do brass threads just snap apart sometimes? Did I overtighten it? It really didn't feel like I was applying too much torque--I was really surprised by what happened...

Thanks for any advice.

Doug

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I would bite the bullet and replace the check valve - it would only take a little time and would be done right...

dugma78

Reaction score
Alright... I'd figured as much. I looked at the pipes this morning with fresh eyes, and it looks like it won't be as difficult to remove it as I feared. Thanks for the advice. I'm off to the hardware store...

Doug

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks