View Full Version : Old 1 3/8" Bathroom Drain

Marty 1
03-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Hi: All my old bathroom sinks have a 1 3/8" drain tailpiece. One needs replacement, but I can't find anything other than 1 1/4" tailpieces. Plus, the overflow holes don't match up. Does anyone have 1 3/8" tailpieces? Why did they change to the smaller size over the years? Thanks--Marty 1

03-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Are you measuring the inside diameter or outside diameter?

master plumber mark
03-08-2008, 12:43 PM
the easy way to get yourself out of troubles
is to go get a 1 1/4 fernco coupling and simply
adapt that to the antique pipe you are fighting with..

the fernco will squeeze down fine

03-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I believe you're looking at an 1-1/4" tailpiece not an 1-3/8". These are measured on the inside diameter, not the outside. I've never heard of an 1-3/8" tailpiece, but who knows....maybe 100 years or so ago there were such animals???

03-08-2008, 03:20 PM
All my old bathroom sinks have a 1 3/8" drain tailpiece. : No such thing........... never was ......... never will be

1 1/4" is what you are looking at

03-08-2008, 03:24 PM
They ARE measured by the o.d., not the i.d. American Standard used a reducing tailpiece which was like a funnel. A larger thread and a 1 1/4" o.d. trap connection. A conventional pop-up drain should fit the sink but if you just need the tailpiece a good plumbing supply store will have a 1 3/8" threaded tube which is usually used for leg style bathtubs.

Marty 1
03-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi: If I measure across the opening inside the sink at the drain, it is 1 3/8". Directly under the sink, the drain measures 1 5/8" (O.D) then it narrows down. Marty

03-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I've learned something new....the day hasn't been a total waste. lmao

03-09-2008, 04:16 AM
Hi: If I measure across the opening inside the sink at the drain, it is 1 3/8". Directly under the sink, the drain measures 1 5/8" (O.D) then it narrows down. Marty

They sure do make that size. I stock it in my truck.
I mainly need it on old bathtub drains. 1 3/8"

03-09-2008, 08:08 AM
You do not measure the sink hole to determine what size you need. A standard 1 1/4" lav drain should fit fine. The 1 5/8" you mention is a 1" sch. 40 trap. You would use a 1" X 1 1/4" trap adapter if you are looking at a bare ( glue up ) hub. If it it threaded, with a nut, you just need a 1 X 1 1/4 reducing slip joint washer.

Marty 1
03-10-2008, 05:28 AM
Hi: Thanks to everyone for they're responces. Marty :)

Marty 1
03-10-2008, 05:42 AM
I'll keep looking for that 1 3/8" drain. Thanks again--Marty.

master plumber mark
03-10-2008, 05:51 AM
Probably the only way I know of to get your hands on
some 1 3/8 drain pipe is to buy an old style tub drain kit
for a claw foot tub.....

it would come with 2 1 3/8 nipples about 6 inches long and
it would come with an over flow pipe about 14 inches long

thats about the only way I have ever come across that size pipe, was for the complete tub drain replacement box.

03-10-2008, 07:15 AM
You aren't buying your tubes at the right store.

03-10-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm going to be extremely surprised and shocked if you find such a pipe and fittings:eek:

The only thing that comes remotely close to this od size, is tubular tubing (very light gauge and thin walled) If you ever find it, I want to know who sold it to you.

03-10-2008, 12:50 PM
1-3/8" tub drains are very common in some older area's.
There IS a such thing...using no-hub adapters is the easiest way to secure them.
Be VERY careful, 1-3/8" drains are usually old and frail...too much force or movement can create hidden leaks.

03-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Grumpy is right! Older parts of the city this is plenty common.I carr 1 3/8
nuts and o rings to relace any washers...yes.I found 1 3/8 nuts and no washers!

03-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't find it worth the time to chase for parts that are that old. I tend to let the customer know this. Every year it get harder to find the older stuff. This might be a good sign for an upgrade.

03-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Dearborn Brass makes an 1-3/8 x 12 tailpiece threaded both ends. We have them in stock here. That being said, I have never seen one used on a lavy sink. They are for clawfoot tub drains. Every single lavy drain I have ever seen is 1-1/4 (o.d.). They also make a reducing tailpiece like HJ said. It has 1-1/2 threads and reduces down to a standard 1-1/4 tube. The threads on an 1-1/2 x 1-1/4 tailpiece do measure slightly smaller than 1-1/2 o.d. Maybe this is what you have.

Marty 1
03-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Hi: Thanks to all of you for your input. I'm not sure if everyone understands the part I'm having trouble with. Here's the deal: I have two identical 1948 Crane wall-mounted bathroom sinks. One has its original drain, so I know what it looks like and its size. The other sink has a replacement drain that was bought at an Ace store. The Ace drain is 1 1/4", and it fits, and it's in use right now. But the problem is that it's so small it doesn't seat properly in the bottom of the sink, and it tends to leak. The original drain in the other sink is much larger, and it comes up further and causes no problems. I want a drain like the original, and I think the size is 1 3/8". Does that clear up what I'm looking for? Marty

03-14-2008, 06:08 AM
Yes, because now we know you are looking for the entire drain and not just a tailpiece as your previous postings indicated. You will have to search the home designer locations, such as EXPO, or Great Indoors, to find a drain that is not the standard size.

03-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Basically, unless you're willing to pony up high prices for replacement parts, you're not going to find replacements for your Crane basins. I know what you're talking about and the usual fix is to replace the entire sink. In addition to the odd-sized tubes, there are internal parts, such as on the pop-up assembly, that are extremely worn by now and likely to fail.

Crane gave up making those things a very long time ago.

Marty 1
03-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi: Sorry about not spelling out the right situation in the first place. Luckly, the sinks have drain plugs and not pop-ups, so that's one less thing to worry about. I think I'll go over to our plumbing wholesaler and see what I can find. I though maybe a commercial laundry sink might have an oversized drain that would work. Thanks--Marty

Marty 1
03-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Hi: The old warehouse suppy store in our neighborhood had a 1 1/4" press flo drain. Although, I'll have to drill out for an overflow hole, it looks like it'll work, as it's a lot bigger and more heavy duty then the Ace drain. Marty