Good toilet for rental house?

Users who are viewing this thread

joeytk

Reaction score
I am considering replacing my old UPC 1.5g RF toilets with more-comfortable EL toilets in a rental house. Being a rental house, I don't want to put top-of-the line for cost and wear/tear considerations.

Any recommendations?

I was thinking about Toto Dalton, after reading Terry's LF toilet report. At first I considered Kohler Wellworth after so many newsgroups had users raving about them, despite what the Map report says. Can the amount of water that flushes be adjusted in the Wellworth.

Thank you.

Joey

cst733f-02.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Wellworth can be made to double or even triple flush by changing the flapper. This is NOT an advantage or something which should be done.

If there is no blockage, 1.6 gallons will flush the toilet. If it is blocked, additional water is not the answer. Also, 1.6 GPF has almost made toilet overflows a thing of the past. The bowl will contain the 1.6 gallons. If you start allowing 3 to 5 gallons to flow in with the flush, you are in for some messes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I remove quite a few Kohler Wellworth toilets every month. Some of them are brand new.
The Toto Dalton is heads above the Wellworth, and better than the Cimarron.

Wellworth comments:

I just found your website...it is terrific. Thank you. I have two teenage boys and my Kohler Walworth's just are not up to the task and we are doing a lot of plunging.

I think I have tried everything to get my 1.6 gallon Kohler toilet; which is a year old to flush correctly but about half the time it has to flushed twice. I called; Kohler made the suggested adjustments and had a plumber inspect it but I still have the problem.

I have 2 Kohler K-4276-96 New Welworth 1.6 toilets installed in a non-basement installation and both are plugging quite often so I would NOT put them in. I have called Kohler and they say it is not a problem with their toilet and will not replace them. One is in our guest bathroom and I just can't tolerate any more embarrassment for our friends when it plugs, so I plan to remove both and replace with another brand, regular flush. Kohler don't have any exchange policy or anything like that, so it has been very frustrating trying to get them to stand behind their product. They say that if it was a problem with the toilet it would jam every time - which of course will never happen as it has to do with the consistency of the material being flushed. I couldn't get them to accept this however, so we reached and impass and they will do nothing. Good luck if you choose the Kohler Welworth. G. Ross Wed, 2 Mar 2005

Thanks for this site; it has been extremely helpful in my research. We are looking to replace to Kohler Santa Rosas which, despite the 11/04 MaP report showing them to be "acceptable", have proven to be more trouble than their worth with constant snaking, and failing that, calling the roto rooter man. Judith E Mon, 21 Mar 2005

I'm with an architecture firm in NYC, and we installed 5 Kohler San Raphael toilets, with the elongated bowl, in an apartment on the upper east side in New York City. The client is experiencing frequent clogging and is very unhappy with the toilet. Do you have any suggestions for improving the current toilet?
Amanda Wed, 30 Mar 2005

The house I live in is 6 years old and we bought it 3 years ago. All of the bathroom have Kohler toilets, In the past 3 years that we lived here we have had at least 11 incidents of toilet overflowing, sometimes with absolutely no solid waste or a little solid waste.It will flush fine and than all of a sudden the next flush will overflow even with no solid waste. There aren't any young children and I know that nothing is dropped in the toilets ( we are very careful about toilet paper) .
Twice it happened the same day the plumber had checked them out.
It has costs us thousands of dollars ( last year alone it was $18,000 dollars).
Would changing these toilets help? S. Jones Mon, 11 Apr 2005

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
130160.jpg
Mansfield Alto toilet​

"must say something for the company if all these new homes have them."

Not always. I remove quite a few new toilets from new homes.
For Christmas this year I removed the builder grade Mansfield Alto 130-160 toilets from my daughters home. They have been the most used toilet for new homes. They have a MaP rating of 275 grams. I have noticed that some work better than others. I can't explain that one.

She was very happy to get a Toto Drake.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Builder grade for Mansfield has been the Alto 130-160 using the 2" flush valve.

If your builder is upgrading to the Maverick, then he is doing better than builder grade.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks