Lines Twisted and Broke

Users who are viewing this thread

Ladyred2007

Reaction score
We were trying to replace the one piece water control handle on our shower and when trying to get the old handle to unscrew, the pipes in the wall twisted off instead. I guess it was because the handle was so old.. I am not sure. But now we are trying to repair/replace the T and the three copper pipes that protrude to the handle control.
Do they sell the T separately? Will we have to solder the copper? There is no room to solder in the small hole around the tile. We are already having to cut a whole in the wall inside a closet to access the T. So frustrating...trying to do a simple project has once again turned into a nightmare. No water can be turned on in the house until this is fixed. Should I just call a plumber now?

Thanks-

delta-600-replace-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The nature of your question suggests that you do not have the expertise to solder in tight spaces. I would recommend a professional at this point. The reason your pipes twisted was because you didn't use a wrench to apply counterforce when you tried to remove the handle. Not so much age but the handle's connection was stronger than the pipes. I suspect a plumber can fix this problem in a very short time.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like a Delta. You should call a plumber. You need to remove the old valve and replace it. You have no choice but to replace it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

I would, and have, repair it, but not many plumbers can do it, so you may have to replace it. One problem with your valve is that the tubes have to have offsets in them to line up with the holes in the valve and the control unit. Those offsets are hard to make without the proper tools. The valve components are not sold individually.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
HJ now that is something I would like to see done

HJ.... is that a tall tale you are telling
or have you actually some how repaired a Delta faucet that was twisted out of the wall????

Being braised into the body and braised into the cam
it seems close to impossible to accomplish..
without almost burning down the house in the process...

I dont think I could do that and have never
even attempted to save one ....

how exactly did you do this??..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Tall tale?

No, I have done many of them, often on a Saturday afternoon after the homeowner has been to HD and gotten his repair kit, then blew the faucet up. I have also done some for other plumbers who have done the same thing. They are soft soldered, not silver soldered/brazed.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I can rework a 600 series Delta using soft copper tubing but I won't try with the 1300-1700 monitor series.

Valve body is too large, too dangerous if you are trying to do this in a wall, not being able to see what you're doing. Removing the entire valve to perform this task would be simpler to just install a new one, be done with it.

The R10000 valve body is a superb upgrade that prevents this reoccurrence.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1700 series

I haven't had anyone destroy any of the new style valves yet. The locknut would have to be pretty tight to do it, but I suppose eventually someone will. I think those valve are brazed together which would make a repair almost, if not completely, impossible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks