3 way showerhead to handspray diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

audioman81

Reaction score
I bought a 3 way diverter at home depot because i wanted to add a hand spray to my existing showerhead and be able to use one or the other or both. it was cheap plastic and almost $20 but was the only one i could find that had both option. I found a couple nicer metal ones that had one or the other but not both. I put it on and right away it started leaking so i tightened it more and it cracked and broke. also my brand new delta handspray hose leaks where the hose meets the swivel connector thing that screws to the diverter. I took it off and put the handspray right to the pipe out of the wall and no matter how tight i get it it always leaks. it seems to be worse the tighter i get it. where can i get a good 3 way diverter and a hose that wont leak?
thanks
Ryan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you put any pipe dope or teflon tape on the threads prior to tightening it up? If not, mend your ways and retry it! Tapered pipe threads require something to fill in between the threads to create a seal as it is tightened down. SOmething with straight threads requires a gasket or washer to be compressed, and the threads don't create the seal, just supply the mechanical connection.

audioman81

Reaction score
Did you put any pipe dope or teflon tape on the threads prior to tightening it up? If not, mend your ways and retry it! Tapered pipe threads require something to fill in between the threads to create a seal as it is tightened down. SOmething with straight threads requires a gasket or washer to be compressed, and the threads don't create the seal, just supply the mechanical connection.

the threads werent where it was leaking it was by the swivel on the hose and the swivel on the diverter. there were plastic washers in there and i used pipe dope on the threads.
any more ideas???

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there is a washer, pipe dope is not needed. You might have to tighten the nut, forcing the washer tighter against the mating surfaces. It could just be poor quality and just won't ever be okay. Some of those plastic washers are very hard, and are a bear to seal.

AlwaysInHotWater

Reaction score
I bought a 3 way diverter at home depot because i wanted to add a hand spray to my existing showerhead and be able to use one or the other or both. it was cheap plastic and almost $20 but was the only one i could find that had both option. I found a couple nicer metal ones that had one or the other but not both. I put it on and right away it started leaking so i tightened it more and it cracked and broke. also my brand new delta handspray hose leaks where the hose meets the swivel connector thing that screws to the diverter. I took it off and put the handspray right to the pipe out of the wall and no matter how tight i get it it always leaks. it seems to be worse the tighter i get it. where can i get a good 3 way diverter and a hose that wont leak?
thanks
Ryan

Don't know of any high quality diverter valves that are 3 way. Let me know if you find one.

As for a leaking hose, sounds like a washer problem. Try lubricating the washer with plumbers grease or vaseline. This makes it easier to tighten and seal. Over tightening can force the washer up inside a pipe or fitting and cause a leak as well which is what it sounds like from your description.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks