Help!! Clogged Basement Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

MrIncognito

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal, it looks like I've completely screwed up the drain in my utility sink in the basement. I'm pretty sure it was caused by the unfiltered output from my washing machine in combination with the gravel and sand from me periodically cleaning my 120 gallon aquarium. The problem is also compounded by having old rusting cast iron pipes. So far I tried to disconnect the sink and snake the drain but I was unable to push the snake in very far. I then tried to gain access via the cleanout but the plug is stuck on pretty damn tight. I went to work on it with a wrench and hammer but it simply wouldn't budge. I've attached a few pics to illustrate the problem. The other drains in my home are working fine, I haven't noticed any slow down so far. Any advice on how I should handle the problem?? I'd prefer not to call a plumber unless absolutely necessary....Thanks in advance!!

DSC00122.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Cut out a section of that old Galvi pipe. Snake the drain. Then replace old section with some new pipe. Try to make sure you use Missions bads to connect new to old.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Most likely that the cleanout cap is fused into the tee, but you can give it one last try by heating the fitting nicely and then trying to tap it loose a bit with the hammer, and then see if you can get it to move with a wrench at all. I doubt it will work, but it's worth a shot. If not, then patrick88's suggestion is about all you can do without calling in a drain cleaner.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might try soaking the plug with PB Blaster. That's about the best penetrating oil there is. Note: WD-40 is not a penetrating oil as many people think. Give it several sprays and let it work for awhile. Tapping may also help. You then will need a good wrench that fits the plug really well and a cheater bar on the wrench.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks