Icemaker

Users who are viewing this thread

twilitemoon

Reaction score
The icemaker for my refrigerator leaked all over it. I turned off the water to the icemaker and it is still leaking a small amount. If someone would be so kind to let me know if I need to do anything more, that would be great. Also, we had not used the icemaker for four or more months, and even though it is running off of filtered water, I am not sure if I need to clean the fridge or if just wiping up the water will be sufficient. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd consider replacing the cartridge. At the minimum, though, I'd run 4-5 gallons through the thing to purge it (hopefully, you can do this easily through the cold water outlet?). Depending on the type of filter, most can accumulate organic material that allows crud to grow. Unless it has a good design, some of the stuff will make it through and after it sat there for months growing, not pleasant.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the valve used to supply the ice maker is a saddle valve...

20041101_YOU_CAN_FIX_page002img010.jpg

I would strongly recommend getting it replaced with a real stop valve similar to what is used on your other sinks and toilets. The saddle valve is probably not closing all the way which is why the leakage is continuing. I would either just stop using icemaker or have it repaired. If you have it repaired I would replace the filter as stated above.

twilitemoon

Reaction score
Until I have it replaced, is the water leaking in there dangerous? The apartment complex I live in told me that the water is filtered, but I really don't know if that means anything. I have a newborn baby and my husband is deployed, so I just don't have the time to extensively clean the fridge. I just want to know if it is safe to use in the meantime until my apartment complex can fix it.
I also do not use the icemaker. We never have.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh, I gotcha now... You have just shut off the ice maker and there is still a small amount leaking in the fridge. I would locate the valve that is supplying the ice maker line and shut it off to stop the leaking altogether. It may be in a box behind the fridge, on the cold supply pipe for the sink, or, in the basement below the fridge. I would find it and shut it off. I would not worry about the water other than the ice/mess it makes.

icemaker_box_pex.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks