Natural Gas Grill Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Janice

Reaction score
:confused:
I purchased a new natural gas barbecue, but three of the burners won't light. The fourth burner, which is a back burner, lights just fine (and my old barbecue worked just fine, too). Although I have a half inch gas line in my patio, I am told there is a reducer on the line, thus creating a 3/8 inch opening. The retailer of the gas barbecue says I need to get a plumber to have the reducer removed and the 1/2 inch opening restored. The barbecue won't work until I do that. Others tell me that the purpose of the reducer is to increase pressure and that any barbecue should work. Can you shed any light on this issue.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

The reducer, if there is one, would neither increase the pressure or keep all the burners from lighting. There must be a obstruction in the line, such as a protector that was not removed or else at least one of the three burners would light.

Jrejre

Reaction score
I have a nat. gas BBQ and it works just fine. I have a 1/2" line. That said, I would look at the grill mfg specs and also call the mfg. I would trust the mfg on this issue over anyone else.

I would next call my gas company. They often offer free advice/service. It can often be a result of the regulator, etc. Maybe too many devices on the same manifold

I would next trust my plumber and last the retailer. (Note: I'm not a plumber, just a DIYer)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A reducer would not change pressure, but it would affect volume so perhaps you couldn't run all burner at full capacity, but they should still light. If the line is fairly long, it may still have air in it. Leave the burner valve on for awhile and continue to attempt to light it frequently while the valve is on. If that fails, then there is likely an obstruction in the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks