New sewer line installation problem

Users who are viewing this thread

rch165

Reaction score
I recently replaced about 130 feet of sewer line at my house. The old line was 4" CI and I replaced it due to clogging every 3-6 months. I replaced almost the entire line, from the clean out near the house to where leaves my property line..although that isn't where it drops into the main sewer line. It must tie into the main sewer line somewhere under the street. So I ended up cutting the cast iron pipe and coupling it to the 4" PVC using ferco couplings. The line runs 30 feet from the house, turns 90 degrees, then runs 100 feet to the street. I put clean outs at the high end of the 100 foot run and one around the 70 foot mark in the straigt run. Heres my problem : I can see water standing in the second clean out closer to the street. I was very careful about sloping the line, but had to "re-use" the old slope since I was tieing into the existing line at two spots. The overall slope in the 100 foot secion was about 17.5". Based on what I've read thats OK, but doesn't meet the standard 1/4" per foot. The only thing that was concerning to me, was that when I cut the line at the street, water back flowed into the hole i had dug..meaning it looked like the line was negatively slopped on its way to the main...?? Anyway, I had tried flushing the line and leaving it for a an hour, but when i check back its still holds water?? It seems like its flowing..like when I flush toilet..run water down the line, etc...but still holds water. I would think if it was sloped properly it would not hold water..?? Any suggestions.. I have not covered the line yet..so I have thought about trying to raise certain secitons, but on my rough check of slope, it seems like its sloped properly??? I'm obviously not a professional, so any help would be appreciated.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd say you have some backpitch going on. I suggest running a camera in the line and you'll see exactly where. Sounds like you fixed everywhere except the problem area. I advocate camera usage before shovel usage... Its called working smarter not harder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks