Leaking in-line shut off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Road Hawk

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help me figure this out. I noticed yesterday that my ceiling was yellowish, and traced it back to a leaking in-line shut off valve from my bathtub (two-story home). I shut the valve off (hot water), and then when I turned it back on again (to confirm the source of the leak), water came out the stem, before stopping when I had turned the valve completely on. I checked with the other valve (cold water), and the same thing happened, to a lesser extent, even though it did not appear to be the source of the leak. When the valves are completely turned on now, they don't leak. What I think happened is that my shower head hose got caught up in the valve (by tugging on it in order to extend the hose while bathing), somehow causing the leak (closing somewhat the valve).

Besides the damage to my house, I want to make sure that this does not happen again. Can I be sure that the valve won't leak again, or should I call a plumber to change/fix the valves? Is water leakage from a valve normal if you turn it off and on, or does it mean that the sealant (or O-ring) is defective?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Behind the handle of the valve should be a packing nut. Try tightening it up some and see if that solves the problem. It isnt normal for a valve to leak when being turned on/off. You may need to have both replaced, but if its just loose packing nuts and the inner workings of the valves themselves arent worn out, you should be able to take care of that in short order.

Good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks