Basement Bathroom Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

WBB

Reaction score
I want to install a bathroom in the basement which will have a toilet, shower and sink. I thought I needed to run a 3" vent for all three. Correct? If so, I will have to run it horizontally in the basement before I can find a wall cavity to run it vertically up through and into the attic and roof. How far horizontally and how many 90 degree bends are allowed before running vertical? Is there a height requirement in the basement (I thought it was 18" minimun above the drains) for the vent.

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's no limit on the horizontal distance, but the pipe must have a slight upward slope so that any water that gets into the vent will run back to the drain. I believe the height rule is 6" above the highest fixture. If I'm wrong on this, I'm sure one of the real pros will straighten me out;)

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
There's no limit on the horizontal distance, but the pipe must have a slight upward slope so that any water that gets into the vent will run back to the drain. I believe the height rule is 6" above the highest fixture. If I'm wrong on this, I'm sure one of the real pros will straighten me out;)
Yup 6" above flood level. Yes There is a max distance, but I'm sure knowing what state would help to know what you need.

WBB

Reaction score
I'm in the state of Wisconsin. I will have to go 7' from the bathroom, make a 90 degree turn and go about 10' before going vertical. Thanks for the help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

You will need whatever size vent your local code requires, whether it is 1 1/2", 2", 3", or a combination of sizes. It is unlikely you would ever exceed the horizontal distance, or that an inspector would reject it if you did.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks