Champion Toilet Flush Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

G40

Reaction score
I recently installed a Champion Flush toilet at my business and have already had 2 clogging problems with it. It seems like the plunger in the tank is not staying up long enough to allow the necessary amount of water to enter the toilet for each flush. This is resulting in the 'solid matter' not making its way all the way to the septic tank. The lack of water leaves the solids in the drain pipes to slowly build up and cause the clogs.

Does anyone have any suggested solutions for this problem? We called the company and they said it is operating correctly. I would disagree, though.

Thanks,

G40

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's not normally a problem. The drain line may not have the proper pitch, or has a belly, or has some root or some other obstruction that is slowing things down. It might be worth having someone in to run a camera down the line to see if there is any reason.

G40

Reaction score
The drain is the same drain that has been in use for the past 25 years. It wasn't a problem with the older toilets.

plumbtired

Reaction score
Another Champion flush valve problem?

I'm guessing you have the Champion piston-type flush valve (the one that goes "clunk" when you flush)...right? I/we had a couple of the Champion toilets with these miserable piston style flush valves. We had to double or triple flush each time, particularly with solid material. The flush valves also leaked...you could hear water dripping from the tank into the bowl (although you could not see the water dripping into the bowl). Once in the while the leak would get bad enough that there would be a "phantom flush"...usually in the middle of the night!

Back to your issue: if you have the piston style flush valve, there is a replacement flapper-type flush valve for the Champion that allows the toilet to flush properly and also stops the leaking from the tank. Just phone American Standard @ 800-422-1902 with the model number of your toilet (inside the tank...it's four digits, starting with a "4"). [Don't let the customer service rep convince you the toilet is working properly...it isn't! Tell the rep the blasted thing leaks and doesn't flush completely...it worked for me, anyway.] They should (and will) promptly send you a free replacement flush valve and also a new tank-to-bowl gasket...yeah, you have to remove the tank in order to remove the old piston valve and install the new-and-improved flapper style flush valve.

We did this with our two Champions toilets and it's like we have brand new toilets! They flush properly...just call us the Happy Flushers!

Last edited:

plumbtired

Reaction score
Answer to Redwood...

The end of last month: January 31st, to be exact. And, so far, everything with the new flush valve is perfect. I am a "convert" and like to tell others about this fix and how well it has turned out. :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Make sure that you keep us informed. Flappers should last 3-5 years depending on water conditions. I'm interested in how long yours go!

plumbtired

Reaction score
Response to Redwood...

Will do! We have "the softest water in the west" here in the Portland, OR area, so we have less problems with corrosion, etc. Maybe our water-related parts even last longer, who knows...

I am hoping the new flush valves provide many years of efficient use from our two Champion toilets. We have yet to have a clog, which was something that was a weekly occurrence in the old Kohler toilets we had...we had two plumber's friends just sitting by those Kohler toilets as part of our bathroom decor. It's nice to no longer have to routinely plunge out toilet clogs! And now, with the replacement flush valves installed, it's a pleasure to have the Champion toilets with no more "clunk" when flushing...and a thorough flush at that!

Last edited:

plumbtired

Reaction score
Good Question, Redwood

I am on city water...for the city of Hillsboro, OR, a western suburb of Portland.

From what I know and can determine via reading the city's annual report on their water treatment, they use low concentrations of chlorine...but the actual form of the chlorine is not stated. I know it's low because we NEVER taste chlorine in our water...in fact, our water is very smooth stuff.

I'm guessing the drinking water treatment plant uses sodium hypochlorite (bleach) for disinfection. This Portland and metro area is very environmentally aware. I cannot imagine that chloramines would be used for disinfection of the drinking water. Our faucets, seals, etc. stay "perky" a long time. I have had a large fresh water aquarium for years and never had issues with chloramines. I have fish that have lived 12 years and more; I currently have a Khuli loach that is 16 years old!

This is probably a case of TMI but I thought your question was a good one...it got me busy researching the issue, anyway!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks