Need advice w/sink and faucet replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

jimmer

Reaction score
I'm replacing the sinks and faucets in my mother's house and have a few questions. She had older Briggs steel sinks and my nephew ordered identical replacements along with new faucets. I took a look at the sinks and the overflow basins are made of black plastic and glued to the bottom rather than built in like the old ones (which btw were completely rusted out.) I'm worried that this setup could be problematic in the future, does anybody have any experience with this type of sink? Also the faucets came with plastic pop-up drains, are there usually any problems with these if installed properly?

The big problem is that my nephew ordered the sinks and faucets through **** and they cannot be returned so I would appreciate any opinions or advice on them. Am I asking for trouble in regards to leaks down the road? I've installed china sinks with metal (brass?) pop-ups in my own house and have never had a problem but I am a little worried about these.

Thanks

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Throw 'em away and put in china. They may last for a while, but why not get something that will last for a long time? China sinks are relatively cheap now - often as low as the tin ones. Sometimes, the plastic overflow channels leak right out of the box - they're just stuck on there, usually with silicone.

Make sure of the size - you should use self-rimming basins and there shouldn't be a problem. 19" round or 20" x 17" oval.

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
Also, if it was special ordered from a big box like L*owes or HD you can usually return them...they just don't like you to so they'll tell you A. you can't or B. there is a restocking fee...if a cashier tells you that, I recommend talking to a store manager, they'll do anything to prevent a complaint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks