Fill valve height problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Sergioq

Reaction score
Today I installed a new ballcock, the Fluidmaster Fill Valve. All is fine and dandy except one thing. Even at its highest setting, it still leaves much less water in my tank than the previous unit.

So I was wondering if there are any known solutions? For instance, does anyone make an extension platform that acts like a bigger washer? Or, and I don't know the physics of flotation well enough, but would perhaps weighting the floater cut off do the trick?

Am sure I must be asking something that has been asked a million times before.

Please, if it's not obvious by my post, I am a layman, so please leave me any answers using words and terms I can understand ;-)

Thanks ahead of time,

Sergio

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Even at its highest setting, it still leaves much less water in my tank than the previous unit.
That has to be some big tank.

I hope you know that the stem or housing has a lock nut at the base that can be loosened . Then you lift the entire shaft to have a different level of water

Sergioq

Reaction score
I hope you know that the stem or housing has a lock nut at the base that can be loosened . Then you lift the entire shaft to have a different level of water

This is what I thought, but I am almost sure that the platform at the base of the shaft was SOLID, and not a screw. This is why I named the manufacturer of the ballcock, in case someone knew somethign specific about it.

Truth is in the end I'll have to empty is all again, and look, just hoping that someone can give me a specific answer before I do it all again. Being a layman I am extra scared of breaking something. Once I finished, and realized there are no leaks, etc. I am so reluctant to go back in ;-)

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
At the base of the ballcock (inside the tank), there should be a white collar. It does not look like a lock nut, but thats what it should be

Sergioq

Reaction score
At the base of the ballcock (inside the tank), there should be a white collar. It does not look like a lock nut, but thats what it should be

Going by the box, and documentation, the collar on the inside appears to be solid and physically part of the shaft. I call it the collar, but if I had to say the piece of what I am talking apart, it's the part that goes flush against the washer at the inside of the tank.

Tomorrow morning I will take it apart and look for real, but If I am right, and it is solid, (I already opened the shaft to its maximum) are there any extention solutions? Or weighting the floating value?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Lets make sure we are both on the same page . Don't forget to lock it back down

Attachments

• 252528_front200.jpg
    252528_front200.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 358

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
One of the drawbacks to the Fluidmaster is that it can shoot clear off the base because there is nothing to stop it once the locking ring is released. Make sure to turn off the water first.

Sergioq

Reaction score
One of the drawbacks to the Fluidmaster is that it can shoot clear off the base because there is nothing to stop it once the locking ring is released. Make sure to turn off the water first.

Wow, thanks! Guess what? It wasn't locked! Granted, I haven't found what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I posted here!

Sergioq

Reaction score
You know, it's locked now, for sure, but am so paranoid. Am afraid to go to sleep.

Sergioq

Reaction score
Sorry for the reminder, but any thoughts on my original question in this thread?

And please don't take that the wrong way, am thrilled that due to this thread I fixed one MAJOR oversight.

Thanks again

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
For instance, does anyone make an extension platform that acts like a bigger washer?
Not that I know of

I don't know the physics of flotation well enough, but would perhaps weighting the floater cut off do the trick?
I highly doubt that would work. I don't think any proffesional plumber would suggest any such weighting. Possibilities of failure is high

Have you tried adjusting the floater to a higher level?? I assumed you already tried that, I'm just double checking

Sergioq

Reaction score
Have you tried adjusting the floater to a higher level?? I assumed you already tried that, I'm just double checking

Yes, I have it fully extanded. And I can tell from the water line (as well as flushing power) that it fills the tank far less than the previous ballcock device.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Okay, just so we're on the same wavelength: the tower itself is extended as far up as it will go AND the rod on the float is adjusted to give the maximum water height and it still isn't high enough?

How low is it in comparison to the old one?

On the metal rod, you've got that so most of it extends below the v-clip?

Sergioq

Reaction score
Okay, just so we're on the same wavelength: the tower itself is extended as far up as it will go AND the rod on the float is adjusted to give the maximum water height and it still isn't high enough?

Thank you very much! Actually, thanks to all that gave their time to try and help me. Got more than one thing out of this thread.

Sergio

Sergioq

Reaction score
This is what jadnashua is talking about

Yes, that's why I highlighted it in red in the quote. It was something I was unaware of, etc. And THAT WAS THE KEY. Got me more water now ;-)

Many thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks