Water softener drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

EricRLarson

Reaction score
Hello I am trying to install a water softener. This is a new house, with a basement that does not have a washer/dryer in it, but is plumbed for a bathroom. I want to install the water softener between the well pressure tank and the water heater. The trouble is there is no place to drain it since this is not close to the stubbed out drains (aprox. 25' away).

It needs two drains according to the directions, one for draining the brine during recharge, and one as an overflow drain.

Here is what I am thinking. Assuming that the 2" sink drain stub is close enough to the vent (I assume that it is, but I have not verfied that it is within 6') I was going to put a T on the drain stub, with the stem of the T sticking out the side (I will cap the top, so I can put a sink there later if I want to). Onto the stem of the T, put a P-trap and a stand pipe, then use tubing to go from the water softener to the stand pipe. The trouble is then I am stringing about 25' of tubing (twice!) from the softener to the stand pipe.

Is that OK?

Thanks,
Eric Larson

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Uusally the overflow tube is just run down to the floor, if it is even extended from the tank's elbow. It would only be a factor if the tank overflowed, and if you had the drain run to a "concealed" location, you would not know it was happening.

EricRLarson

Reaction score
hj said:
Uusally the overflow tube is just run down to the floor, if it is even extended from the tank's elbow. It would only be a factor if the tank overflowed, and if you had the drain run to a "concealed" location, you would not know it was happening.
Hmm so the going wisdom is to not worry about putting the overflow drain tube into a drain. So if it did overflow then it would damage anything around it. Now that I think of it, the furnace and water heater overflow drains are just hanging down in the same way...no drain involved.

OK, so that makes me ask this question....
There is a stand pipe that has the dishwasher drain in it. It is about 35-40 feet around the perimeter of the basement away (25-28 feet in a straight shot) and about 4-5 feet above the outlet for the softener. Can I use that for the recharge valve drain or is it too far away?

Thanks,
Eric

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks