PDA

View Full Version : Can I glue a ring onto an ABS flange?

Joerg
02-12-2008, 04:55 PM
OK, I guess there aren't any other solutions for a wall discharge flange that's too far in and not 100% straight. Too far in for the neoprene seal to bond. In order to bring it out a bit more I was thinking about buying a regular 3" ABS flange piece and cutting off the rim, so that I end up with a ring. This ring I would glue onto the exisiting flange face with ABS cement. If not thick enough I could probably glue two of those on there. Would be really nice to get another 1/4" or so. The usual method of silicone and screwing in an extender doesn't work here because it's in a wall, nothing to grab into.

Is it ok to glue an ABS ring flat-face onto an ABS flange rim?

Also, I've got a full can of ABS cement that's a few years old. Would it still be good or does that stuff rot in the can?

Regards, Joerg.

kordts
02-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Buy a Pipeshredder or PipeHawg to ream out the hub behind the wall, glue in a new nipple. Use a Fernco waxless ring, it works great.

Joerg
02-13-2008, 08:32 AM
I could do that if there was space. But since it's in a 6" wall space there is no room. The current flange piece goes all the way into the 90 degree vent connector. Probably I could dremel it out of that connector but if I mess that up I'd be in big doodoo.

Regards, Joerg.

jadnashua
02-13-2008, 09:33 AM
The tools suggested are specifically designed to bore out the fitting from a hub so a new fitting can be installed. That's probably the best way to do it.

Joerg
02-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Ok, but then I'd have to drive into town, rent the tool, drive back etc. It'll take hours out here. All we can rent locally is farm equipment and stuff.

I did a test overnight: I sawed the top off of an old ABS trap, crudely filed things flat, then joined them back together with ABS cement. Just butted the pipes together. Put it into a vice 12 hours later and whacked it with a hammer. It would not break! The heavy workbench moved instead. Amazing ...

Anyhow, what would be wrong with taking an ABS flange ring or saw one off from a regular ABS flange and cement that onto the one in the wall to give it some more height?

Regards, Joerg