View Full Version : Wall discharge: Flange not flush

02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
One of those "Oh Drat" situations:

The flange is in the wall, basically an ABS end piece, and is not flush with the wall. Can't reach anything so I can't run a new piece. It's flush on the left side but recessed about 1/8" into the wall on the right. That's too much for those rather thin Zurn Neo-Seal neoprene gaskets. What can be done?

Can I "thicken up" the flange rim a bit, somehow? Or apply something onto the back of the toilet? Or slice one of those (expensive...) Neo-Seal rings and use it to stack a sliver onto another complete Neo-Seal ring.

Regards, Joerg.

02-11-2008, 06:18 PM
One idea: Is it possible to glue two neoprene seals together and use that to bridge a larger distance?

They would then compress a bit more than usual, not sure how much they are allowed to compress.

Regards, Joerg

02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
The Zurn gaskets would be the ideal way to go, but I have placed a wax seal when all else failed. The zurn gasket will stick to both sides better.(porcelain and flange). I'm not sure how much compression you will have for 2 seals stuck together.

Take the lesser of the 2 evils

02-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks. So you think stacking two gaskets would be legit? On the left they'd compress down to what would be almost normal for a single gasket, on the right they'd compress to less than the thickness of a single gasket.

I have also read about a "flange fixer" on this forum but can't find it back via the search function. Some adapter that can be glued into the old flange if it was recessed too far or crooked (I've got both problems). The poster mentioned that it has some play so could be glued in at a slight angle, to level a flange. That would really be the ticket here.

Regards, Joerg.

02-12-2008, 09:30 AM
More searching on this forum brought back the name of the company that I think was mentioned to make a glue-in flange extender that goes partially into a 3" ABS pipe and can be angled a wee bit:


Problem is that clicking on any product number produces "Sorry Invalid Item ID". Any idea which part number it could be? Or a another manufacturer with a working web site?

Regards, Joerg.

02-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the zurn gasket is 1/2" thick. If so, a wax seal would give you the extra thickness that you need (3/4"). In some cases, if the flange is not screwed to a wall plate or wood, it will pull out as you tighten the wc bolts. It may not pull out alot, but just enough to take up 1/8" - 1/4". Thats really what you would need. The wax will squeeze to the position of the flange.

Just take note that it will be a 1 time deal with the wax. You can't put it on, take it off and then try to put it back.

02-12-2008, 11:30 AM
A wax seal usually isn't advised for horizontal discharge into a wall flange. I have seen a situation where people did that and it leaked. Gets very hot out here in summers and then wax kind of follows the laws of gravity :)

This flange does not budge one bit. Almost like if it was cemented in there but unfortunately not straight. This is earthquake prone California so good builders tend to bolt everything down. I found a vintage Schlitz beer can under the raised foundation, maybe that's the reason it's not straight. The Zurn is also a one-time deal. Had a toilet from A/S where they left a big porcelain chunk in there (!). The thing would not flush so I had to rip it out again. The only way to make the neoprene seal let go was to wedge something between toilet and wall, take a long saw blade and cut the neoprene in half, then prying it off the flange piece by piece.

I think what I really need is a flange extender that has a piece of pipe attached to it. This pipe must be 3" O.D. but allow enough slack to cement it into the existing flange at an angle of a few degrees.

Regards, Joerg.

02-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I posted a reply before I read this. Cut the nipple back and glue a coupling and new nipple, you should be able to get a few degrees of deflection. A flange won't work. Use a Fernco waxless ring.

02-13-2008, 08:29 AM
That won't work here, the flange piece in there is very short and goes right into the 90 degree vent connector. This one has sort of a flange front to it, it's not a nipple. Not like a large regular floor flange but more like a trumpet with a flattened part at the end.

I'll check out the Fernco ring, thanks.

Regards, Joerg.