New leak, unknown origin

Users who are viewing this thread

Oblivious

Reaction score
Hello again!

I just got home to find yet another leak in my daylight basement, but this one doesn't make any sense to me at all.

We apparently have an old pipe exposed about 5 feet from the ground in the side of a brick wall from the inside of the basement. I say apparently because we didn't notice it until it started leaking a rusty stream of water today. Unfortunately, we're unable to track down the other side of the pipe as it is buried under 2 to 3 feet of dirt, so we have no idea where it leads or why it suddenly began leaking. I was hoping that somebody on these forums might be able to identify the type of pipe and potentially it's original use. Also, any advice to stop the leak would be greatly appreciated! We do know that the house was built in 1947, if that is at all helpful.

Oblivious.

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 243

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Hello again!

I just got home to find yet another leak in my daylight basement, but this one doesn't make any sense to me at all.

We apparently have an old pipe exposed about 5 feet from the ground in the side of a brick wall from the inside of the basement. I say apparently because we didn't notice it until it started leaking a rusty stream of water today. Unfortunately, we're unable to track down the other side of the pipe as it is buried under 2 to 3 feet of dirt, so we have no idea where it leads or why it suddenly began leaking. I was hoping that somebody on these forums might be able to identify the type of pipe and potentially it's original use. Also, any advice to stop the leak would be greatly appreciated! We do know that the house was built in 1947, if that is at all helpful.

Oblivious.

I bet that was a yard hydrant (out side faucet). If you have been getting lots of rain. The rain could be rolling back into your house.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This looks like an old galvanized pipe was abandon. I suspect that it has rust through and water is getting in at that point and following the pipe back. Assuming it was part of the original plumbing, it's 60 years old, and that's really old age for galvanized pipe. I would be suspect of the remaining pipes. You can probably stop the leak for now with a wooden plug driven in to the end of the pipe. The end is deformed so you can not screw a cap on to it.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Might be an old water service that was discontinued because it leaked. Ground water is following it back into the house.

Oblivious

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input!

After posting my new problem, the investigation continued. We began trying to answer the question, "Why now?" and realized that it must be linked to the removal of an old fence post that was taken out a couple days ago. Judging from what I've read here, the post must've hit the pipe (either when it was removed or potentially when it was installed) and helped to further the leak.

Considering the ex-owner's "handyman" (I use that term lightly with this fellow) clearly installed the fence on his own and also ran the plumbing in the house, I wonder if he punctured the old pipe with the post on accident and then bypassed the pipe with new plumbing without taking care of the old pipe. At this point, I wouldn't put anything past him.

Thanks again,
Oblivious.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You could try pounding the pipe back into the yard, with a drift, a couple of inches or further if possible, then clean the hole in the concrete well and apply some hydraulic cement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks