your thoughts... preferred lists

Users who are viewing this thread

Garrett

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.garrettplumbingco.com
I have always been suspicious of these types of preferred lists. And like other members here I hate the yellow pages, what a bunch of sales weasels they are. I'm guessing that Angie's list is simply an avenue that allows the slander of the contractor to make the customer feel better for not being savvy enough to get 3 estimates then later learn they could of got the job done for $300.00 less. so they immediately feel violated by their own stupidity.
To me its anyone's interpretation what getting ripped off means. If I feel the job is worth $1500.00 and the customer agrees then where is the rip off?
did they get ripped off because they called someone else that gave them a quote over the phone for half the price? If the customers wallet or purse was stolen then that is ripping them off. No one on Angie's list is privy to any contractors thoughts or intentions except maybe in clear cases of deception.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I know a guy that was stiffed for payment.
He attempted to pursue it, the homeowner threatened and eventually put him on Angie's ist.
A strange form of blackmail.
I doubt all listings are that way, but it's food for thought.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The term" being ripped off" is a very subjective term.

I have had people tell me I was ripping them off because another plumber had quoted $50.00 less than me for the same $150.00 job.

The other thought is that some times people have a fixed price in their mind as to what some job should cost with nothing to base it on and anything above that is a rip off.

This discussion could go on and on.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
It is to easy to say "I got ripped off" after the fact. I had a plumber say the company I work for rip people off. Then he hands my customer an estimate for $500.00 more than I quoted.

If you let these "Lists" control how you do things then your letting the consumers dictate how plumbers run their business or prices.

I have no problem with competition, but when one plumber looks at a job and gives a price. That is after looking at the problem and maybe writing down what is wrong. Then another plumber being told what the job is over the phone and getting the first price from the consumer. Then going down by $50.00 or so. That customer has no right to complain and say your ripping them off.

I know a guy that was stiffed for payment.
He attempted to pursue it, the homeowner threatened and eventually put him on Angie's ist.
A strange form of blackmail.
I doubt all listings are that way, but it's food for thought.

These type of things happen often I'm sure.
These sites should get the facts long before they post stuff. They could ruin a good business with one bad review. Now if plumbers or any other business did that sort of thing for bad customers. I'm sure the courts would be flooded...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks